Author Topic: Stop Leak Radiator  (Read 1272 times)

Scott Hinote

• BAC Member
  • 727-744-5531
Stop Leak Radiator
« on: June 26, 2022, 05:14:58 PM »
Hi everyone, I’ve been trying too fiqure out how to handle my leaking radiator . I have my coach at home, because that’s where I discovered that I had a leak . Anyway after several weeks of trying too figure out weather to drive it to the shop that’s 32 miles away, or have it towed . I’ve decided I’m going to try and drive it . My question today is has anyone ever used any radiator stop leak ? I don’t know if it’s okay to use in a Diesel engine , once at the shop everything will be drained and then tested . I own a 2000 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga with a rear mounted radiator . Thank you
C.Scott Hinote
2000 Patriot
CAT 3126B  330hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Stop Leak Radiator
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 11:22:40 PM »
Scott
Your not going to find may mechanics that will condone the use of stop leak products the reason being that stop leak has a nasty habit of plugging up smaller offices such as those found in things like the heater core , oil cooler passages .

How ever if you chose to use it one of the best I have used is ( Bars leak ) brand,   brown can  with brown liquid and what looks like rabbit food pellets in it. Follow the instructions on the can.

If you do use a stop leak product first bypass your heater core and have the mechanic flush the cooling system well to make sure to try to remove any left overs before installing your new radiator.

Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Scott Hinote

• BAC Member
  • 727-744-5531
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 04:45:47 PM »
Update , yesterday my wife and I were adding coolant so I could drive it to the shop . Well I got a good surprise, when as expected it started leaking again, so I climbed underneath to see if I could find the leak . Well I found it , there is a expansion tank on the top of the radiator and it’s made out of plastic. Well coolant was leaking out everywhere after it was almost full making it easy to see the leak . The hose that goes down to the two thermostats broke off at the expansion tank . I’ve got a new expansion tank ordered and it’s all aluminum . I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I don’t have any other leaks, could save me a lot of money .
Does anyone know of a way to clean all the oil and dirt that’s on my radiator ? It’s so hard to get to with the shroud around the top and bottom of the radiator ? Thanks hopefully we will be back on the road in a month or less .
C.Scott Hinote
2000 Patriot
CAT 3126B  330hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 04:55:28 PM »
Perform a search using the words "simple green" and you will receive numerous How-To replies on using Extreme Simple Green to clean the radiators, engine, and whole engine compartment.

I use a garden sprayer to squirt it on all the surfaces, let it sit awhile, then rinse with a water hose.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 10:53:32 PM »
I'm glad you found the more easily resolved issue, Scott. The plastic expansion tank is a common problem, and though expensive, many have gone to metal ones such as that designed and sold by Beaver Coach Service.  It's no fun to have the engine "derate" on the freeway because coolant fell below the tank's sensor.  When our Monterey was only a few months off the showroom floor the large hose from the tank sprung a large leak mid-hose several inches down.  Turned out it was not a new hose and the Monaco warranty tech in Harrisburg thought the original likely had been scavenged somewhere along the line.  The older replacement was weak and not a perfect fit, so he had a local outfit build a new one, of stouter stuff, that routed itself properly around frame parts and devices that otherwise rubbed on it.  He also assured it was secured such that it couldn't sag and rub on anything over time.  You might check yours out in that regard while you're at it.  Our (Ford?) tank itself is still fine, but I keep an eye on its integrity.

As David suggests, use Simple Green Extreme for Motorsports on aluminum stuff like radiator fins and let it sit for 10 minutes or so to dissolve road oils, but don't let it dry out before rinsing.  Regular Simple Green has proven not to be necessarily aluminum-friendly, especially if incompletely rinsed.  Dawn dish soap can also be used, but would be less easily applied.  David's garden sprayer idea sounds like a good procedure for applying either product.
https://simplegreen.com/products/extreme-motorsports-cleaner-degreaser/

Consider also a "fin comb" if, like most, there are bent or squashed fins on your radiator pack.  I got a set of different sized combs on a ring (such as the Supco Fin Comb Ring) so that it's easy to find the right size for the particular job - roof air fins are likely differently spaced from the coach radiator pack or a daily vehicle.  But there are many choices, so check out this review:
https://hvacguides101.com/best-ac-fin-combs/

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 03:14:33 AM »
Scott, i also had a problem with the plastic overflow tank. I patched it with some aluminum wrap(the sort you use to repair mufflers), duct tape and and clamps but really need to replace all the hoses and the overflow tank. Can you share where you got your tank? I really don't want to get stranded somewhere when this goes out for good. The hose is also very tired and really needs to be replaced as well...it looks like original and it's very stiff with internal wires. I was told by one truck shop they would not be able to get exact replacement and could probably find something to fit. I'm assuming heaving duty radiator hoses should be pretty easy to come by?
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 05:20:54 AM »
Follow the links in this thread, although some updates would be useful from those that have added the BCS unit:
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php?topic=5451.0

Also check with Northwest RV Supply for the proper unit
http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/BU01806583ST.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 05:37:22 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat