Author Topic: Front Door Allignment  (Read 1309 times)

Don White

• BAC Member
Front Door Allignment
« on: June 26, 2022, 10:03:06 PM »
Hi,

I recently noticed the front door on my coach is out of alignment with the door frame.  The rear of the door, the side with the latches, is sagging to the point that there is a gap that you can see light through at the top of the door.

I have opened the door and lifted up on the rear lower corner.  I do not feel or observe any free play in the hinge.  It appears tight and feels tight.

In examining the hinge, I noticed 5 of the heads of the 30 screws holding the hinge to the coach were broken off.  I put a screwdriver to the rest and found that 12 more are also broken.  The screw heads were still in the hinge itself but no longer attached to the threaded portion of the screw.  All of the broken screws are towards the top of the hinge.

The top of the hinge has pulled away from the coach frame by about a 16th of an inch.

I am in the process of drilling out the broken screws and will replace them.  My hope is this will tighten the hinge back up to the coach and solve the sagging problem.

Has anyone else had this experience?  If so any information on solutions would be appreciated.  Sorry for the long post, just want to be complete.  Thanks in advance for the help.
Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Front Door Allignment
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 10:36:04 PM »
Don
I haven't come across that on any of the beavers I've seen so far but I think I would be checking the latch pin to see if it still floats up and down or of it has seized and may be putting extra stress on the hodge screws .
Also I have seen coaches where water leaks in above the door and drains through the posi lock strap at the top of the door into the interior of the door causing the inner door and panels to rot and I would assume eventually sag as the structure looses strength.
If the door itself has saved you may be able to take the inner door panel apart and install a cable and turn buckle to raise and support it in the proper position.

If you check in the coach assist section you will find a manual on how to adjust the door.  Under PDL door.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Don White

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 11:02:23 PM »
Eric,

My door has 2 latch pins.  Neither of them float but are tight to the frame.   I understand you to be saying they should float up or down, Is that correct?  I will check the door with a builder’s square and see if it is still square.  I'll take a look at the manual.

Thanks for the help and feedback.
Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 11:33:37 PM »
Don
I believe the PDL doors only had one latch pin.
The door you have may be a different manufacturer or at least a different model in that case I can't tell you if it should float or not
I know with the single lock pin one of the indications that the pin is seized is a squeek at the pin and latch while driving do the road.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 02:25:11 AM »
Don, those 2 latches should float and move up and down. They should not be tight so as to allow the door to adjust when leveling the coach. Our 2007 Contessa has the same door configuration.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Don White

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 10:05:08 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback...very much appreciated.

I took both latch pins off today and discovered that they do attach to a float mechanism in the door frame. When I tighten the latch pins down it seems to lock them in place, they no longer move up and down in the door frame.  So, am I over tightening them?  The star washers on the latch pins are pretty beat up so I will replace them.  Any suggestions on what to use to clean the float mechanism?  Good ole WD40?

I did remove the interior latch bezel as well, it did not appear from what I could see that there had been any water leaking into the interior of the door.  The wood paneling had no water staining or damage and all the mechanical parts are rust free. The door frame is not showing any signs of rust.

The Monaco Door Division sticker on the door says it is Model# Patriot-OR-06.  Also to refer to the Operations Manual for door latch adjustments.  I have a copy courtesy of NW RV Supply of the  owners manual for the 06 Marquis.  It has no information on door adjustment.  Does anyone know what the Operations Manual is?
Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 06:16:09 PM »
Don. Attached are the instructions for adjustment of your front door . These are from our 07 Contessa manual which should be the same as your door. I have used silicone spray on our latches as well as the door seal.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 07:23:42 PM »
   Don,
Here is the reason why the strikers have to "float". Because the entry door is forward of the front axle and suspension, the opening for the entry door is subject to change. It is like a "parallelogram" dependent on Air leveling, jacks (if equipped), and sunlight on the door skin. The changes are just small enough to put the door in a bind and trap you inside. The engineers came up with the floating strikers to secure the door and still be compliant to D.O.T. standards and requirements. It is not uncommon to find someone has secured the strikers thinking they have fixed it. Eric and I have delt with this over the years, so please take your time and correct the strikers so they float. They should be tight enough that they do not loosen from contact with the door 2 stage latch but still move up or down as necessary. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley