Author Topic: SCA additive filter with ELC coolant  (Read 1201 times)

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
SCA additive filter with ELC coolant
« on: July 01, 2022, 07:52:15 AM »
I'm pretty disgusted with any work I've had done on my coach to date. So I'm reviewing my work order where I had Freightliner Northwest do a coolant flush last summer before leaving Seattle. They did the flush using CC2610 cleaner, added OAT extended life coolant but then they replaced the filter with a WF2074 SCA filter rather than the WF2077 filter blank. I've read I could end up with jelling problems adding SCA to ELC coolant? I ordered a WF2077 blank to replace the existing filter but do I need to flush and refill the beast? I've put about 120hr on the engine since last summer. I'm fulltime on the road so finding a place to do a flush is a challenge and these truck shops are just frighteningly incompetent - and backlogged (I could tell you other stories but would be up all night).  I have some Fleetguard coolant test strips here and will test in the morning but not sure it will tell me much.

Is there a coolant drain plug on C13 or do I just need to pull the bottom hose?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 11:15:30 PM by Gene Obie »
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: SCA coolant filter installed after flush and OAT ELC switch
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 01:43:46 PM »
Our coach had ELC in it when we bought the coach in 2012.  Several years ago I had the filter and hoses removed after discovering they were left on the coach.  Remove the hoses and filter, and place plugs in the holes in the engine block.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,7755.msg62985.html#msg62985

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
Re: SCA coolant filter installed after flush and OAT ELC switch
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »
So I tested with a Fleetguard coolant test strip today and it tested at about 2.5 SCA/gallon so seems good. Coolant was clear and clean. Also got an SOS test kit from local truck shop and will send that off for full analysis... it will be good to compare with test I did prior to purchase 3yrs ago. The sample was easy to get after removing the filter (I have valves on inlet and outlet). I ended up replacing with Napa 4070 filter which has no SCA additive. Seems not a bad idea to keep the filter if the hoses are good.

I also found a Fleetguard doc that claims their research shows no issues in mixing SCA with OAT.... counter to much other "info" on the internet. Sometimes hard to know what to believe. I'll see if I can attach that doc as fyi. So it seems my concerns about ELC coolant with SCA additive filter maybe was not really warranted, at least based on my SCA test and this Fleetguard bulletin. That said, I won't use SCA additive filter anymore as long as testing looks good.

BTW, the SCA filter I removed was DCA4 type.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:28:17 PM by Gene Obie »
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
Re: SCA additive filter with ELC coolant
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 10:16:35 PM »
Gene,

I also updated to the Cat ELC coolant years ago, I was concerned with comments about the hoses failing over the back of the motor, so I installed high temp covers over the hoses.

I have been using the Cat 435-5142 coolant filter, which I change yearly at the same time as I change the oil & filter.  This one is a filter, not a blank.  Really helps keep the coolant clean.

I send in Oil & Coolant samples for testing each time.  My local Cat dealer has test sample kits, with a shipping label, a bottle, and a hose to help with the sample, all ready to go for $20.00 each and that includes the Lab work.

It's a good deal!

Good luck, and safe travels.

Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California