Author Topic: Cruise Control  (Read 1205 times)

Dennis Campbell

Cruise Control
« on: July 01, 2022, 06:02:02 PM »
Hi All,
Here's an issue I've been working on for a while. Perhaps someone has encountered this before.
Cruise control is intermittent at best. During the road trip this winter, I replaced several of the associated breakers in the electrical bay and thought I had it fixed, and indeed it worked for many hundreds of miles but then quit again. I just changed out the breakers again and still not working, so maybe the breakers were not the (only) issue.

Also, there were other problems, apparently on the same circuit. When I was able to get the cruise to work, and while I was driving down the road and something in the circuit would fail, I was unable to shut it off either by the button on the smart wheel, nor by pressing the brake pedal (Which provided for a very interesting experience!). Additionally, while in the failed state, the windshield wipers would not turn on, but the windshield washer button would cycle properly.

I wonder if the problem might be in the smart wheel control box in the elec. bay, or maybe in the harness in the column.
Anyone experience something similar?
Thanks,
Dennis

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 10:45:33 PM »
Sounds like the clockspring in the smartwheel needs replacement.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 11:18:39 PM »
    Dennis,
I agree with Steve. Replace the clockspring under the steering wheel. It is the device that transfers the request from the VIP steering wheel buttons to the electronic control box. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dennis Campbell

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 06:56:17 PM »
Thank you Fred and Bill....that makes sense. I will travel down that road!
Dennis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 06:39:16 AM »
Keeping in mind that many coaches are set up so that activating the Jake (exhaust) brake cuts off the cruise control, and newer owners think the cruise is faulty;  I’ve seen numerous threads here where symptoms like yours are due to problems with the SmartWheel clockspring.  That pushes me to back Steve’s and Fred’s diagnosis of your issue.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 03:51:10 PM »
We had the same intermittency on ours about 4yrs ago. Replaced the Smart wheel control pad on the wheel. Been working fine since.