Author Topic: Slide Mystery  (Read 1325 times)

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
Slide Mystery
« on: July 03, 2022, 07:52:53 PM »
Happy 4th of July! We wrapped-up our year of full-timing recently. Two weeks ago we put the coach into storage. Yesterday I went out to check on in and found that the rear passenger slide had moved out. What was even stranger is that the front part of the slide was out @6" while the rear part of the slide was only 2-3". Anyone have any idea how this could have happened? Because its askew I was afraid to move it before I get some insight as how this happened. All of our slides have always worked flawlessly. Thoughts? Thanks.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45'
C-13

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Slide Mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 11:32:34 PM »
    Bill,
When you retract the room, there is a solenoid valve that opens and the hydraulic cylinder retracts the room. Sometimes the valve wears out or you get some debris in the fluid that keeps that valve from completely closing. After a while, the pressure bleeds off and the room creeps back out. Try retracting it again and monitor the outcome. If it continues to do it, you will have to identify the solenoid and replace it. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 01:31:58 PM »
Thanks Fred. Since it is askew am I ok simply retracting the slide or should I extend it first and then retract it? Thanks again. Hope you're having a great weekend.
45'
C-13

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 04:02:01 PM »
     Bill,
 Go ahead and extend the room until it is out all the way. Continue to hold the extend button for 2 seconds. (This bleeds off any air that may be in the system) Retract the room all the way. Hold the retract button for 2 seconds. Inspect the room hydraulics for evidence of any fluid leakage. Inspect the hydraulic pump, reservoir and solenoid hoses for any leakage. Monitor the room position and advise. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 05:30:11 PM »
Thank you again for your always helpful remedies.
45'
C-13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 01:03:55 AM »
Fred’s is great advice, Bill.  I’ve found a slide “popped” numerous times, though never askew like you describe.  Simply cycling the “out” solenoid a bit and then the “in” solenoid, and squealing the pump a second or two after the slide seats back in, always clears the solenoid seals so they seat again. 

With the unit out of alignment it may indeed be best to run it all the way out before retracting it, so the sides have a chance to even out.  As Fred notes, the askew aspect may be indicative of a hydraulic leak between the solenoids and the rams, a broken or worn drive mechanism part, or something hanging up one side, so check those out even if cycling solenoids seems to resolve the popped slide issue.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 03:22:32 AM »
Thanks! hope you're having a nice holiday.
45'
C-13
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks