General Boards > Technical Support

switched at birth?

(1/3) > >>

Bill Lampkin:
Had a chance to use our 'salesman' switch today. I wonder if yours works the same. The switch has a locking button so you can't turn the switch off inadvertently. The switch will 'maintain' itself in the 'on' position. So far so good. So I moved the locking button to turn the switch off,  and found out that the switch is 'momentary' in the off position, in other words the switch will not stay in the off position by itself. There is a nice light in the switch to tell you its in the off position, but the switch will not stay off by itself. My question is; what's the point if the switch won't stay off? We just moved the coach from a storage site with a 30a hookup to a new site without electricity, so I'm trying to cut as many loads as possible.

Steve Huber Co-Admin:
Bill,
I think there is a relay that the switch activates to hold the power solenoid. If not that, it could be a bad switch or there is a way to engage the locking mechanism in the switch on position.
Steve

Bill Lampkin:
I can hear the relay activate when in the momentary position, and no, the latch button does not move when switched to momentary. Still scratching my head.....

Eric Maclean:
Bill
In most cases the salesmen switch operate a latching solenoid that will latch in one of two positions on or off.
The salesmen switch used is normally a momentary meaning that once the so!enoid has moved and latched in either on or off position the switch does not need to be held.
The solenoid is set up this way so that it does not require power to the coil to hold it in either position

Does your switch turn the 12 volt power off to the coach ?
If not there is a problem with the switch operation or the latching solenoid.

Eric

Fred Brooks:
   Bill,
Simple test to find out if it is operational. Turn on the coach ceiling lights. Toggle the salesman switch on and off and the lights should do the same. Eric is correct, the intelletek solenoid only needs momentary power to leave it "engaged" or disengaged. Some considerations: Older coaches have been modified by previous owners because it is annoying if you are a full timer. That is why Monaco went to an "intentional" switch so you can't inadvertently turn it off by accident.
    Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version