Author Topic: door glass  (Read 1548 times)

Tom Pickett

• BAC Member
door glass
« on: July 07, 2022, 01:52:33 AM »
HELLO EVERYBODY
i am the new guy, i need to replace my fogged up door glass on my2008 patriot thunder.
The local r v repair shops cannot help.
Thankyou
tom
2008 Patriot Thunder
CAT C13 525hp

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: door glass
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 02:25:54 AM »
I used Suncoast designers in Hudson Fl, but I was closer and had them do all of my windows.  A local glass shop should be able to repair it or replace it.  You can also look for places that can double up the glass and not do a double pane window with a air gap.  If you are going to any rally's some window repair companies show up and do repairs onsite.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 02:29:15 AM »
Check with RV Glass Solutions, one of our club sponsors. They are nationwide and do quality work.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 06:04:45 AM »
Ours has been repaired twice and is now fogged again.  The door window is subjected to more vibration intensity via its repeated closings, sometimes wind-assisted or via an overly aggressive guest or young child.  If you’re lucky the glass isn’t etched and just needs polishing and seals reset, but that’s rare.  Normally etched glass has to be replaced with custom-built panels… not all doors are as alike as you’d think, so fitted standard glass sheets aren’t just sitting in warehouses awaiting our needs.

A company in Vancouver, WA, does the laminated thing which would do away with the fogging issue.  But they build an entire new window, not just replace the glass, so it costs about twice as much, ~$600-700?  And they don’t install.  So you have to remove the old window, make them a precise template of the opening, dispose of the old assembly, and install their new one yourself.  For many here I’m sure that’s no big deal and they’ve replaced windows before.  A helper is advisable, which I wouldn’t have, so I had to think through a safe methodology to accomplish it myself if I was to go that route.  Laminated isn’t quite as insulative as double-pane with argon though.

Steve’s advice to find yourself a local RV Glass Solutions outlet is likely best and is what I may do, although the one that could do ours is 100 miles away.  The glass company in Bend that did ours twice, as via Beaver Coach Service, no longer is their go-to guy.  Probably good reason for that judging by our experience.  So we may have their new glass outfit do it on our next service visit to BCS, and hope it’s a longer lasting repair than the prior ones.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Pickett

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 01:11:15 AM »
thanks for all the help,i am going to call glass solutions. I will update on the outcome
  tom
2008 Patriot Thunder
CAT C13 525hp
The following users thanked this post: Mike Sulley

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 03:32:40 PM »
Tom
Depending on where you are and where you are traveling, you may want to consider RVfogDr in Searcy Akansas.  I have had them do windows on my last 3 motorhomes and have had no repeat problems.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 11:52:19 PM »
Tom
This i a job you can do your self if your incline
Contact Dave Root  for a kit to reseal the thermal panes.

https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com/diykits.html

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.