Author Topic: SMC Leveling Retrofit  (Read 1289 times)

Reese Hunt

SMC Leveling Retrofit
« on: July 15, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »
Update 07/28/22

Equalizer Systems (Now in 19300 Grange St, Cassopolis MI 49031) installed frame to ground jacks (17000# each). The system includes a hydraulic power supply, all hoses, control panel, jacks, mounting brackets and electrical wiring/devises. Installation was in the factory installation shop.

Typically, EQ Systems can install a new system on most coaches in 3-4 hours. They complete 3-5 a day for dealers and owners. As most larger Class A coaches have systems from the factory, an installation for our 40’ Patriot Thunder was not a routine process. EQ Systems involved their engineering, installation and COO to get a solution. The process required an entire day.

Since Beaver Patriots have the 8 bag Safari frame, mounting locations are rather scarce. The cylinders must be mounted inboard of the frame rails. EQ Systems designed additional support to ensure lateral stability. The jack leg cylinders are further inboard than with most factory systems.
LIMITATION: I will not utilize the system to make up for extremely unlevel landing sites. On previous coaches with a wide base of support, I have. Just one of the compromises.

EQ Systems can not authorize lifting the coach with the system, yet as a test in their shop, front and rear can be lifted to approximately 4” off the concrete.

EQ Systems did not utilize the air ride dump feature of the system. It is in the system and available. I chose not to install. If I want the coach lower, I do have a manual air dump push button switch.

EQ Systems was very accommodating and friendly.

How do I like the system?
1. Get to your destination. Shut off the engine. As you head out the door, turn on the system and hit auto level. Get out and prepare electrical, water, sewer, cable, satellite, lawn chair and wine. The system has a pre-set level null (Adjustable through settings).
If you want to really show off, the system is also blue tooth connected to your phone. Get out, set up chair, get wine…level to show off (It is also a useful tool during some chassis maintenance or retrofit procedures.)
Then put the slides out on a leveled frame. (The SMC system required slides out before leveling.)
2. I have already used the system to raise the coach and put jack stands or wood cribbing underneath.
The system controls jacks in pairs in auto level or manual, so twisting is greatly reduced.
3. Cost: System, $4200. Installation, $750. Travel to EQ Systems.

Since our coach is beautiful, retrofitting a dead leveling system made sense to us. We will attempt to repair and update all systems. All that’s left is…everything else.

We purchased our 2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton January 2022.

The leveling system was unique. PS rear cylinder leaked and multiple welds on the Pearce platforms were cracked and the perches were bent. The previous owner had replaced all the hydraulic hoses.

We decided to retrofit the hydraulic leveling system. There was no air leveling. I will get control of the air bags later as manual raising and lowering have proved useful on our previous coaches. That will be another BAGS of worms.

I previously contacted one of the BAC members. He privately sent me a copy of the Leveling System documentation.

In case I forgot, thank you for sending me the documentation for the RVIA Leveling system. It was very adequate for my 2001 Patriot Thunder.

I was able to remove all the controls, hoses and jacks…AND… my slide and air dump (added by another owner) still functions. The hydraulic unit is still in place…for now.

Of the two rear hydraulic cylinders, one has been rebuilt and another leaks slowly. The two front cylinders are useable. The control unit is original and still functioned in an automatic mode.

If anyone needs parts, they are available. No waranty…no cost…they pay the shipping. I can not throw useable stuff away.

I will be in Elkhart, IN on July 23. EQ Systems is installing a 17,000# per leg, hydraulic, automatic leveling system. It is frame to ground. EQ has the lifts and technicians to safely and effectively provide installation. I had them install the system on our previous 24’ Unity class B.
Once again, your documentation was just right for me to destroy only one system at a time.

After installation, I’ll let ya know how level we be.

We purchased our 2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton January 2022.

The leveling system was unique. PS rear cylinder leaked and multiple welds on the Pearce platforms were cracked and the perches were bent. The previous owner had replaced all the hydraulic hoses.

We decided to retrofit the hydraulic leveling system. There was no air leveling. I will get control of the air bags later as manual raising and lowering have proved useful on our previous coaches. That will be another BAGS of worms.

I previously contacted one of the BAC members. He privately sent me a copy of the Leveling System documentation.

In case I forgot, thank you for sending me the documentation for the RVIA Leveling system. It was very adequate for my 2001 Patriot Thunder.

I was able to remove all the controls, hoses and jacks…AND… my slide and air dump (added by another owner) still functions. The hydraulic unit is still in place…for now.

Of the two rear hydraulic cylinders, one has been rebuilt and another leaks slowly. The two front cylinders are useable. The control unit is original and still functioned in an automatic mode.

If anyone needs parts, they are available. No waranty…no cost…they pay the shipping. I can not throw useable stuff away.

I will be in Elkhart, IN on July 23. EQ Systems is installing a 17,000# per leg, hydraulic, automatic leveling system. It is frame to ground. EQ has the lifts and technicians to safely and effectively provide installation. I had them install the system on our previous 24’ Unity class B.
Once again, your documentation was just right for me to destroy only one system at a time.

After installation, I’ll let ya know how level we be.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:41:21 PM by Reese Hunt »

Reese Hunt

Re: SMC Leveling Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 01:45:00 PM »
Project update 08/01/22