Author Topic: location of Girard Awning anchor points  (Read 3673 times)

Gilbert Styles

• Gil
  • BAC Member
Re: location of Girard Awning anchor points
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 05:30:52 PM »
Fred - My awning is a G-2000 about 20 ft long. It is mounted from the front of my motorhome over my door and extending toward the back.
the first two bolts are behind a cover  over my door with the others behind box covers inside my overhead cupboards and the last one in the bathroom medicine cabinet. The nuts were loosened on all of them. Were they prying in the right places? from your photos it looks like you would have not have been prying in the same place. Do you think it is still possible to get it out far enough to remove and replace the motor and reattach and seal it?
Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga 2002 - 37 Ft - Cat 330

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 12:47:25 AM »
  Gilbert,
  Under normal circumstances, the brackets are mounted to the wall and then the awning is hung on the brackets. Then an insert is slid in place to trap the awning from lifting up. Safari mounted the brackets with the bolts already sticking thru them to the awning first. Then they install the awning into the cavity thru predrilled holes in the cavity. To the best of my memory. I cut thru the silecone the entire way down the top from front to rear. Then cut thru the silecone on the front and rear ends. After removing the mounting nuts and washers, I installed a block of wood just past the exposed bolts on the inside and used a pry bar to leverage the bolts outward. Seeing how the bolts are trapped between the awning case and the mounting bracket if you move the bolts you move the awning outward.
  Once you get the awning out far enough to replace the motor, that would be the time to get a piece of 16 gauge flat aluminum sheet and fabricate a new end piece and install it. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Gilbert Styles

• Gil
  • BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 03:20:59 PM »
Thanks Fred. That clears up a lot. If I understand correctly you fastened a block of wood INSIDE the motorhome and used that to pry against the ends of the bolts to push them out. Is that correct? Here is a picture of the inside of mine.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 11:23:05 PM »
   Gilbert,
  Before you go thru the trouble of mounting a block of wood on the inside about 3" from the threaded bolt, try putting the nut back on about 3 or 4 threads and take a rubber mallet and hit the bolts and see if there is any movement of the awning outside. (If the silecone is not completely cut thru, the awning will not move). Behind the upholstry is a 2" by 2" by 1/8" thick metal beam that runs the entire length of the roof. Be patient drilling into it. You may want to install a 1/4" self tapping bolt instead of a block of wood. The whole idea is to give you an anchor point to pivot the pry bar or crowbar and push against the bolt to move the awning. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Gilbert Styles

• Gil
  • BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 07:12:38 PM »
Fred, Would you please go back and look at your two photos of where to cut the silicone and at my two photos of where they had tried to pry it out. On your photos the arrow is pointing to the inside corner of the housing but there is a kind of flange around it that is against the motor home body. When you pry out the awning does that flange come out with the housing or does it stay attached to the body of the motorhome? They were prying BEHIND the flange. Regarding the adhesive, some has slightly oozed out around a couple of the bolts so the brackets are probably glued to the motorhome. When you pry out the awning are you also prying out the mounting brackets?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 09:42:48 PM »
   Gilbert,
The riveted flange IS the mounting of the recessed cavity box. It DOES NOT COME OUT. Where the awning box fits into the recessed box is where you cut thru the silecone bead seal along the entire length of the top and both ends. My arrows point directly where you put your razor knife. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Gilbert Styles

• Gil
  • BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 10:16:51 PM »
YAY - That's good news! They were prying in the wrong place. If they had a clue about what they were doing they MAY have been able to pry out the awning and TRY to replace the motor. Now I think there is a good chance my awning is repairable. I am not going to attempt this by myself, but instead will print out all of this and give it to Trailer Supply for my appointment with them in March. I haven't yet told Girard support about the performance of their recommended repair company but I will.

Thank You for everything.

Gilbert Styles

• Gil
  • BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2023, 11:21:10 PM »
Fred, Today I had my instrument cluster above the door out and discovered what may be two more awning bolts that I didn't know about. Here's the picture of the two bolts above the door that I had sent previously, and two more of the cabinet just above that.These are higher up and smaller than the two in the photo above the door.  What do you think?
Gil

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2023, 11:52:06 PM »
   Gilbert,
 These are the 2 mounting bolts that I was refering to you in my reply #6. When you remove the nuts in your 3rd picture the awning will come out. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Gilbert Styles

• Gil
  • BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 05:14:51 PM »
Thank you Fred. I'm still looking for another company in the Phoenix area-or elsewhere that can do this as I'm not able to do it for myself. If anyone out there knows of a reliable and honest company that can do this please let me know. Thanks
Gil 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2023, 10:40:46 PM »
I've had good service with Luxury RVs and RV Renovators. Both are on Main in Mesa between Gilbert and Lindsey Rds. Luxury RVs used to be the Beaver outlet in the Phoenix area.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp