Author Topic: Generator AC leg inputs high  (Read 3160 times)

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
  • 2007 Marquis Lapis 45, C15 600HP
Generator AC leg inputs high
« on: July 26, 2022, 05:28:04 PM »
Hi All

Still on the road now off the Cassiar highway… new problem that I have little ability to troubleshoot.  Could use some help.

1. Last night all things worked fine.
2. We have rattled everything possible for many miles through terrible roads for the past few weeks (won’t bore you with the detail of how many things I’ve been fixing ;)

3. This morning tried to use the tea kettle on the MS2812 while inverting, it power cycled and we stopped.  In case relevant.

4.  Tried to start generator, runs fine.  Aladdin first said one leg voltage was high, then shut it down and restarted and now says both leg voltages high at 134.

From searches people suggest it is a loose neutral or fuel starvation.  Doesnt seem to be running lean though clearly purring with no load.

Any advice on where to start would be helpful as I’m trying to diagnose on the road with extremely limited internet.

Generator is 12.5 HDk-B and inverter is Ms2812 running lithiums

Anand
Anand and Shilpa Shah
2007 Beaver Marquis Lapis 45 "BeaverBus"
Cat C-15 600HP
Towing 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Generator AC leg inputs high
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 09:37:38 PM »
Anand,
Have you checked generator output with a meter to see what it actually is? Have you tried to reset inverter if it is not working? If geni output is OK on meter, problem may be with Aladdin sensing torids in transfer switch.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 10:02:10 PM »
 I also have Lithium's (600mahr) and 12.5K genset and set my charge current at 140A. When bulk charging and with additional load on the inverter charger leg of generator I find the unloaded leg voltage is high (about what you're seeing). Turning on A/C's will drop it. Not sure if there's remote voltage sense that causing the generator to want to regulate the highly loaded leg a higher "no load" voltage resulting in the unloaded leg high. I've not seen both legs high. But I would try disabling the charging and see where your voltages are at with little load on each leg and then try some loading experiments. Or you might try turning the A/Cs on and see if the higher voltage leg drops while charging on the opposite leg.

At 134V (just over the default upper limit of 132VAC on my SW2512)  I'm not sure it's an issue. I've sort of been ignoring it but if you find there's a problem/fix please share.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:33:18 PM by Gene Obie »
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 06:52:11 AM »
Another possible issue is a bad neutral connection which can cause voltage imbalance between the 2 legs when under different loading. There's a good description of why this happens here --> https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/changing-to-a-230-volt-water-heater-252931-3.html#post2633182

Next time I get out to my coach I will try to find where the neutral is bonded on the generator. Maybe I shouldn't have been ignoring what seems to be a similar problem as yours.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 06:52:45 AM »
Hi All -

Updated with a hope for some more precise help.

We got to shore power and had a similar problem, plugged in, everything worked fine until I tried to turn on an A/C.   As soon as the compressor load started the Aladdin said low voltage (dropped to 90 ish) and the A/C died and everything 110 sort of went kaput, but it came back in a few seconds (sans A/C).   I think I heard what sounded like a breaker resetting behind the wall near the transfer switch.

The generator started working at a normal voltage, but the same thing happens with a load (in yesterdays case with the microwave and kettle) but the voltage says too high (135).   It seems that the generator with no load does that - measured at the terminals in the transfer switch.  So Gene - I think this is normal.

I haven't opened the wall yet, will try that tomorrow.  The wiring diagrams for my rig that I have with me doesn't show anything in between the transfer switch and electrical panel, nor between the plug and transfer switch or generator and transfer switch.   Does anyone have any knowledge on what it could be?  I'll hunt for what I thought I heard, but maybe one of you know something magical, or maybe I should be checking something at the electrical panel?

Regardless, given the issues on both shore and gen, it seems like it is in the transfer switch or after it;  Even when it is running without heavy load, the microwave standby power seems to power cycle every 15-20 minutes (it plays a tune when it starts up) too. 

Steve- the voltage measurements seem to be correct on the Aladdin from my readings at the transfer switch.  The ammeter seems to be off but catches up.   I'm also on a 30A dogbone so I'll cut it some slack.   I don't think failing sensor board would cause this, but I'm pretty ignorant on electrical / AC electrical - though I'm useful on DC :)

Any and all help appreciated.   This is becoming a problem as we get south.

Anand
Anand and Shilpa Shah
Cat C-15 600HP

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 07:26:39 AM »
As I read more, I wonder if it is the transfer switch itself, or the solenoid?   Though I hear the thud quite clearly when I connect to shore power.  I wonder if the sound I heard was the solenoid opening and then closing again?   Is that a potential issue? 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:37:59 AM by Anand Shah »
Anand and Shilpa Shah
Cat C-15 600HP

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 03:33:51 PM »
    Anand,
Is your transfer switch a "Surge Guard"? That will make a thud when closing. I would also try and be plugged into a 50amp service to help trouble-shoot the situation. If you are using a 30amp dogbone adaptor, you are giving up 70amps of power and at the same time combining both 120volt legs together. Marquis's with all there 120volt requirements really struggle on 30amps. Please advise, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 08:40:53 PM »
That’s what I was thinking;  an adapter cheats you out of power on its own, but also if an additional length of cord goes from the dogbone to the park box you’re coughing up even more voltage.  And not all adapters are quality, or yours may be damaged inside. Been there, dun that.  When connected and using an appliance, how hot does the adapter get?  As voltage at the appliance drops it needs to draw more current to meet it’s rated work (watts), and more current draw means heat that cords, adapters, and appliance components weren’t made to tolerate.  Breakers and surge protectors can guard against that, but you don’t want to keep pressing them.

As Fred notes, find a (quality) 50amp parking spot and see what ensues.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 05:59:00 AM »
Fred, Joel, Steve, Gene -

Yes, it is a surge guard - I haven not found an RV park available yet with a 50A connection in the past 1300 miles to try.  I'm going to go to the only RV shop near Calgary that will see me in the morning to see if it is the transfer switch, I'm sure they have a 50A connection to test.  See below.

I *think* the heating up cable is an unrelated problem.  It was happening when I had a crumbling plug, which I replaced.  I replaced the dogbone today with a better one and will report back tomorrow.  I'm at a park now with 30A.

Generator works, provides 125V each leg until I give it load.  The Aladdin cycles through "Shore Power Selected" a few times before it says "Gen Set Power Selected" - it seems a few more times than it used to.    If I turn on the microwave the transfer switch drops out and the voltage jumps on the Aladdin to 135V on each leg.

On shore 30 A - Aladdin only shows AMPs on one leg.  It drops out every few minutes.   The AMPS drop to 0, everything on it dies for a second, and then comes back.    If I give it load it drops out and says under voltage.

Inverter works fine, though it not charging very well with the intermittent shore power.  Currently recharging with Solar and the 60A DC-DC on 8-9 hour drive days.

My best guess is the Transfer switch.   Tracing back steps, it seems that the failure started when the generator was started while there was a load - I think the Tea Kettle was running on the inverter but inverter wasn't happy and we started the generator; that seems to be consistent with what I've been able to gather causes Transfer Switch issues.  There is nothing behind the wall - cable comes straight from the spool to the transfer switch and from generator to transfer switch.

Will report back on what I gather - feel free to share any input you might have and feel free to call or text.  I need all the help I can get.  About to boondock for a few days from Friday and it is going to be like a hot tent without power working :)

Anand
Anand and Shilpa Shah
Cat C-15 600HP

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 07:17:58 AM »
Is your inverter remote set for the actual 30 amp input, or is it on 20 or 50?

The single active leg you see on your Aladdin is correct for 30amps.  It’s feeding only one 120v wire set into the Coach.  A 50amp source feeds two 120v wire sets so the coach can provide two 120v “legs”, which you then will see on your Aladdin.  Commonly each can then carry an air conditioner, for example.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Anand Shah

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
Your comment,

"Tracing back steps, it seems that the failure started when the generator was started while there was a load - I think the Tea Kettle was running on the inverter but inverter wasn't happy and we started the generator; that seems to be consistent with what I've been able to gather causes Transfer Switch issues,"

leads me to remember that about a year ago our Transfer Switch was acting wonky so I replaced it.  Over several years I had neglected to shut off the ACs, for example, when changing between the generator and shore power.  I read in the Forum that forcing the Transfer Switch to switch between power sources (generator to shore, and vice versa) while under a heavy load will scar the contact surfaces in the Transfer Switch.  The scarring can lead to inconsistent connectivity between the contact surfaces.

After the Transfer Switch was replaced about a year ago, we have had very few issues.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Anand Shah

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 04:28:35 PM »
Thanks all, and for educating me.

New dogbone solved plug issues.  Shouldn’t have gone cheap in the first place :)

Replacing transfer switch.   Nothing seems to speak to the Aladdin.  Will be missed.   Going to go with simple that works and try to figure out Aladdin version later - I think there is a way to get the TRC 40350-RVC to do so.

Anand
Anand and Shilpa Shah
Cat C-15 600HP

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 06:56:44 PM »
Anand,
Mountain View Farming RV Park in Chestermere, just east of Calgary had 50A when I was there in 2015.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Anand Shah

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 06:16:01 AM »
Steve - thanks, will try them.  This is a long weekend here and really hard to find spots, but will try on my way out of Calgary next week as we will need a place to stay.

Worked with Tech to test the transfer switch.  Gave it load while on Generator, if worked for 5 mins and the switch popped and showed 3v on the output side to both legs.

Replaced the switch with what they had - 41260 - and tested on 30A at the shop for 30 mins running two ACs and then on Generator for 30 mins.   All seems to be working now though I keep tripping the pedestal breaker at the RV park I’m at if I turn on a single AC.  I don’t think the pedestal can provide a full 30A.  But will have to make do for now.  At least I can run the generator and used the roof ACs when needed and charge batteries when I’m off the grid in Bannf for the next week.

Best
Anand
Anand and Shilpa Shah
Cat C-15 600HP

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 07:51:51 AM »
West of Calgary is Cochrane, off 1A near the foot of the mountains and on the way to Banff and the parks.  There are at least 3 RV parks there, and we stayed at Springhill RV Park in 2012.  We also visited Bow RiversEdge RV Park, but didn’t stay there… it’s a pretty nice park.  While driving through we stopped to jabber with owners of a nice Beaver and they invited us for an enjoyable evening of visiting.  Both parks are higher quality with 50amp available.  A third park is Triple Diamond.  It’s got good reviews but I can’t speak to it personally. 

Cochran is a nice town with full services;  we had a Saskatchewan rock chip in our coach windshield fixed there, and enjoyed a walk downtown with pizza and waited in a long line on the street for delicious but popular ice cream. 

I’d guess reservations will be necessary at Bow or Springhill;  both parks were quite full.  We used our toad several times between our coach there and a cousin’s retirees apartment in Calgary, and it was easy access to the Parks the other direction when it came time to vamoose.  Proximity to the Parks is likely why Cochran facilities are popular among tourists. 

As with most Canadian parks, RV sites are relatively narrow so they can pack ‘em in.  You may already have noticed that, and Bow RiversEdge is no exception.  But they have nice privacy hedges separating sites.  Springhill wasn’t as bad as some, but is at the convergence of two main highways, so truck noise may bother some, and trucks often fill up at the park’s large and busy fuel stop.  The RV park itself is gated, which caused a slight issue when one night we arrived home after-hours from Calgary.

https://bowriversedge.com/

https://www.springhillrvpark.ca/

There are a number of parks north up Hwy 22 you could check out.

Joel
aka Hafcanadian

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 08:02:08 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Anand Shah