Author Topic: Fuel siphoning out of tank  (Read 7596 times)

Fuel siphoning out of tank
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:49:08 AM »
Finally found the source of fuel spillage after filling the tank on my 2006 Monterey.  A soft rubber hose coming from top of tank and hanging down 3/4 of the height of the front of tank seems to siphon off about 2 gal of fuel before stopping.  I first assumed that the vent hose came loose and dropped down causing a siphon action.  But does a vent hose have a pickup tube? Seems this hose must be attached to one to do this.  The engine, genny and auqa-hot all work fine.  Can anyone tell me what this hose might be and what should I do? I will try fastening it as high as possible.  Thanks

Gerald Farris

Re: Fuel siphoning out of tank
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 05:36:46 AM »
I cannot say what the hose should be connected to without seeing the coach, but it sounds like it is the vent hose that lets trapped air escape from the top of the fuel tank. If I am right, the outer end of the hose should be connected to the upper part of the filler pipe close to the end by the fuel cap, and there will be a duplicate hose just like it on the other side of the coach at the other fuel fill.

Gerald
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:33:07 PM by 5 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:41:46 PM »
Do not rule out a return line from the engine or aqua hot.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:10:47 PM by 72 »

Stanley Richard Anderson

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:49 PM »
Dennis,
I have a 2005 Monterey & my fuel tank has overflowed from the same hose as you discribe. I talked to the folks at Beaver, in Bend a few years ago. They told me the hose is a fuel tank vent. The hose on my coach also hung down quite a ways. I  was advised to fasten the hose up as high as possiable above the tank and allow the free end to hang down. As you know, there is very little room above the tank to do this. I was able to push the hose up a couple of inches and that has helped, only very rarely will I get any fuel out of the vent line, usually when I top off the tank when the coach is on an angled drive.
Good Luck.
Stan Anderson

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for your imput.  I've had this coach for almost three years and this just started.

Jim Shaw

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:44:24 AM »
Dennis beaver told me it was a roll over valve that has a ball valve and shuts off as the tank fills, also closes if your coach turned over.
Jim

Richard And Babs Ames