General Boards > General Discussion

Towing EVs

(1/1)

Joel Ashley:
I don’t recall threads here yet on this topic, and since it’s likely going to soon be commonly discussed, I figured I’d start it off.

Since our grandson took us on a couple of trips in his Tesla, my radar has been running stronger about electric vehicles.  Towing one behind our coach, of course, was in the back of my mind but our old Explorer does fine there.  At 25 years old however, it’s a far cry from the grandson’s car, and as our “everyday driver” as well it could use a safer, modern replacement.

The Ford Lightning is intriguing and would replace our current F-150 (also a ‘97), but aside from being expensive it isn’t yet rated towable, and we often do long backcountry explorations and fishing trips.  So range is a little concerning.  My picking of FMCA’s brain on the subject resulted in the realization that, due to direct drive magnet/electric motors, no EVs are currently towable 4 down, and even dolly towing is unadvised for most.  Some hybrids are towable on all fours though, so they and their more attractive range stay a strong option.  The Escape was considered but is too small for us, and there are some other brands I just won’t patronize.

Knowing that we probably aren’t the only members here that have begun chewing on this, I thought I’d toss your way this article I tracked down after following another link that FMCA provided.  It offers some promise that manufacturers are not entirely ignoring 4 wheels down towing, whether for our specific needs, or for regenerative charging purposes… another plus for us:  have a fully charged toad when you get to camp 😉 .

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132912_evs-could-be-charged-when-towed-ford-patent-suggests-some-creative-uses

Joel

Bill Lampkin:
Joel, I sent an email to Rivian a while back, and they said their PU was designed to be used as a 'toad' and to tow 4 down. The surprising thing to me was that he even knew what I was talking about. Sorry, no more details.

Joel Ashley:
Yes, I read that Rivian okayed towing their R1T and R1S four down, but they walked that back this spring.  Plus, if you’ve been reading market reports regularly (search “TheStreet” Aug. 19, 2022) you’ll know that Rivian has fought lately to put out, and maybe even survive.

Unlike fueled vehicles, when an electric is in “neutral” the motor(s) are not disconnected from the wheels.  Power just stops going to the motor(s).   An electric motor is subject then to damage if towed.

Joel

Bill Lampkin:
A motor doesn't care if it is 'driving' (powering a vehicle) or driven (by the vehicles wheels). A motor can also act a generator, as in regenerative braking. Detroit will figure this all out when they see a market for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version