Author Topic: Replacing front Penguin heat pump.  (Read 1424 times)

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Replacing front Penguin heat pump.
« on: September 15, 2022, 04:03:25 PM »
Our 2004 Monterey has 2 heat pumps and 2 thermostats. The thermostats only control the zone where they are located.
Can I use my existing 5 button thermostat on my existing rear heat pump and purchase a CCCII thermostat to use for the new front heat pump since the units operate separately ?
If this is possible, I would not need the adapter board I keep hearing about that is on back ordered.
Any help appreciated

2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Replacing front Penguin heat pump.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 05:18:40 PM »
If "connected", then your two thermostats will each run the two heat pumps now?  Or being "unconnected", does the front thermostat control the front unit while the back thermostat controls the rear unit?  I have not heard of that "connected" feature in an RV.

Our coach has one AC/HP (Air conditioner/Heat Pump) in the living room run by one 5-button thermostat, a second AC/HP in the bathroom, and a third AC/HP in the bedroom.  The bathroom and bedroom AC/HPs are "connected" and are controlled by a single 5-button thermostat by zone selection - zone 2 for the bathroom and zone 3 for the bedroom.  And yes, when we had the bathroom AC/HP replaced, we had to get that extra circuit board because the two AC/HPs are controlled by the same thermostat.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Don White

• BAC Member
Re: Replacing front Penguin heat pump.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 01:11:58 AM »
Hi Darrell,

Yes, so long as each AC/Heat pump is currently controlled by an independent thermostat.  You can run the old unit on the old 5 button and the new unit on a new 10 button.  The only thing I would caution is to make sure you have adequate room to mount the 10 button.  It is considerably wider than the old 5 button.

I have 3 units on my unit.  From the factory the front tstat controlled the front unit, zone 1 (AC/Heat pump).  The back tstat controlled the mid and back units, zone 2 and 3.  I replaced the mid and back units and converted to a new 10 button tstat to avoid paying $100 per unit for a conversation board which are hard to find.  The 10 button, in my opinion, is a great improvement over the 5 button.  It will tell you the room temperature in the room it is sensing as an example. 

Hope this helps. 
Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti