Author Topic: Can You Identify This Filter Issue?  (Read 1763 times)

D Wendal Attig

Can You Identify This Filter Issue?
« on: September 20, 2022, 10:44:41 PM »
Something appears to be residing in this micro screen filter adjacent to the oil filter. (see pic attached). Any ideas on what it might be? How would you go about cleaning it out?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Can You Identify This Filter Issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 11:55:58 PM »
   It is a piece of rust from the fuel tank caught in the racor strainer going into the primary fuel filter. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 01:25:30 AM »
The first filter, being the "sticks and twigs filter" as Ed Buker called it, catches all the larger stuff that comes from the fuel tank... and rust scale too.  Rust?  Do you have water in the fuel tank?

https://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5598.msg41779.html#msg41779
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 02:06:52 AM »
  This is what my Racor primary fuel filter screen looked like when I bought my coach in 2014. The rust came from the fuel tank. The coach was from Texas and was stored for 8 years with very little fuel in it. My conclusion is the temperature swings from hot to cold and high humidity will cause condensation to form on the inside surface of the fuel tank. My suggestion is to always stow your coach with a full tank. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

D Wendal Attig

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 02:36:24 AM »
I don't believe we have any water in the fuel tank we keep it full and we have very rare temperature swings and mostly low humidity--too low to count really in the Phoenix area. As you can tell from the picture, there is no evidence of any rust at the bottom of the filter.

I would like to clean it out. If I unscrewed it to do that, should I be concerned that the fuel would continue to gravity feed from the tank during the open connection? If so, is there an effective way to shut it off or cap the inlet?  Also should the filter be topped off before reinstalling?

Tips on how to do this would be appreciated.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 03:31:27 AM »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 03:43:51 AM »
It's hard to say what you are actually seeing in the filter it is possibly rust or even part of the inner liner of the fuel line their is also the possibility that this was pumped in with a fuel fill up still exists
I wouldn't worry too much about it just keep an eye out for more pieces.

Either way as others have pointed out that is what the primary screen is for to stop the larger stuff and protect your racor priming pump.
Yes you are correct the fuel tank will continue to siphon if you remove the filter when the tank is full .
If you wait till your down to about a quarter tank it should be ok or you can park the coach nose down on a hill to help alleviate the problem .
The fuel line that Beaver used running from the tank to the racor filter is actually hydraulic hose with a steel braid in it and CAN NOT BE clamped or squeezed.
On my coach I installed a shut off valve to aid in servicing the filters.
Also be aware that the site glass is seal at either end with two O rings which should be replaced if you take the site glass out.
The site glass is reusable/washable .
It is important to replace the O rings and maintain a good seal at the site glass as any leak here is on the suction side of the fuel pump and will introduce air into the system resulting in power lose , poor idle , hard starting , and injector failure issues over time.
The O rings can be picked up at any good hydraulic shop.
The numbers are as follows
Part #114. And part # 208.  Nitrile O rings quantity two each.
The sight glass / screen is  Racor part # 300200 it is obsolete but you might find one on line.if you need one.

Hope this helps
Eric

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 04:58:30 PM »
    Everything that Eric just suggested is right on task. The only thing I would add is to change the 1/4" nylon tube while it is apart. It is hard and brittle by now and prone to leakage if disturbed. You will need a pick tool to get the hidden o-rings up inside the housing. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 05:32:34 PM »
Gentlemen , there are two problems I’m looking at in these pictures. The first one is not rust with
in the fuel tank but rubber flakes from inside of rubber fuel line coming from the fuel tank in front.
( the builder back in days earlier used 2 ply hydraulic hose for there fuel line and over time is starting
to brake down ). The screen on the plastic tube is catching the rubber flakes.  Second part looking
at plastic tube is the fuel level at bottom, what this is telling you there is a air leak within your fuel
system. If you speed up your engine you will note there will be very little fuel in plastic tube of witch
will cause low power. First place to look for the air leak is the little o-ring at top of the plastic tube,
Many owners that are still using the Raycor system have had this problem. Instead of using one o-ring
on plastic tube the kit call for using 2 o-ring for top and bottom.

In closing my suggestion would be to replacement with a caterpillar primary fuel with plastic bowl on
bottom. There have been many motorhomes have had issues and changed to a caterpillar primary
fuel filters.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Bill Borden