Author Topic: Solar system connection  (Read 1872 times)

Joe DeWeese

Solar system connection
« on: September 22, 2022, 06:13:32 PM »
     My '06 Monterey has a single 100 w solar panel on the roof and a Heliotrope RV-45D charge controller.  The output of the charge controller appears to be connected to both the chassis and coach batteries.  I have a collection of coach wiring diagrams but none of them show any of the solar system connections.  Does such a wiring diagram exist?  My main question is: If I turn the battery switches in the battery compartment off while the coach is being stored, is the solar charge controller still connected to the batteries so they remain charged?  Any help you can provide are appreciated.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Solar system connection
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 06:59:44 PM »
Joe,
As far as I know the solar connections go directly to the batteries, bypassing the switches.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Drew Holloway

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 02:02:34 PM »
Hey Steve when I changed my batteries out on my 2006 Monterey  the lead from the hellitrope controller go to the house batteries. Which is better the coach batteries or the house batteries across one set of 6 volt in series? If you have a diagram of battery wiring it would be appreciated. Also does the 06 have a combiner so it charges both house and coach. Hope all is well in your part of the world!!
2006 Monterey
C9

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 10:00:47 PM »
Drew,
Battery hook up is shown (main connections only) in Coach Assist/2006 Monterey wiring diagrams. Your coach has the BIRD system with the Big Boy solenoid that connects the chassis and house batteries together so both are charged when one set is above ~13v.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 12:40:04 AM »
Drew, as Steve says the wiring diagrams for an '06 Monterey are at the Club's Coach Assist feature.  At the top of this page is the link to the main club site.  There you'll find Coach Assist under the "Technical"" tab.  Once there, scroll down to locate the '06 Monterey diagrams book.

My coach has the Heliotrope 30D solar controller, and was okay until I switched from wet cells to AGM house batteries.  Getting the controller to play nice with them was no picnic, as that controller has little support structure online, Heliotrope is no longer in business, and resetting the dipswitches for AGM was an issue.  The diagrams were little help as to the solar wiring.  There is a newer brand/model of controller, $200+, available that I'm considering replacing the 30D with, Victron MPPT 100/30.

At ~13.4v your Intellitec BIRD (Bidirectional Isolator Relay Delay) on the inside of the access door above your batteries will switch charging from house over to chassis batteries via the large Big Boy solenoid seen in that compartment.  When the engine is running, the BIRD also switches alternator-charging from chassis over to house when the chassis set reach ~13.4v. 

Regarding that, as a relatively new owner you need to know that many an alternator has been burned up after "dry" camping for days and hitting the road again without charging the house set back up using the genset.  The alternator was not meant to survive heavily discharged house batteries, so be sure you charge them to at least Absorb charge status with your generator before breaking a dry camp.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 06:31:02 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat