Author Topic: Carefree Over the door Awning  (Read 1661 times)

Bernard J. Wooldridge

• BAC Member
Carefree Over the door Awning
« on: September 29, 2022, 07:07:49 PM »
We have a 2005 Beaver Monterey coach with a Carefree OTD awning which is inoperable....possibly a bad motor , connection , etc...The information i've  found shows removable end caps which might give one access to the the innards for troubleshooting  the problem....however ours has smooth covers with no obvious way to gain access,  I wonder if someone has faced this before and possibly found some way to release the awning manually....thanks, J.Wooldridge
2005 Monterey
C9 400hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Carefree Over the door Awning
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 09:52:35 PM »
Bernard,
Coach Assist has the OTD Motor replacement procedure. Look under Awnings. The end caps snap off per the procedure.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 09:53:07 PM »
Yeah, mine is out of commission too, Bernard.  It wouldn’t extend after my son power washed the roof a few years ago.  I got all the info and diagrams online, and tried fixing it to no avail.  The control module behind the panel inside over the door tested okay with a meter (12v was going to the motor with the switch pressed) so the issue was the motor probably getting wet and shorting out or corroding into high resistance.

I wanted to replace the motor but it’s cylindrical and slides out of the tube toward the left (coach rear).  It won’t slide to the right due to the way the case is designed.  The main awning’s arm is directly left of the unit, and prevents sliding the motor assembly that direction.  Brilliant.  So you’re supposed to remove the screws holding the unit to the wall/rail and take it off the coach, for bench repairs.  Not if the thing was closed (retracted) when it failed!  More brilliance!  After I got the left cap off and realized things weren’t going that way, then pried the thing as far open as I could to try getting at the screws with no luck, I put it all back together and gave up. 

By myself I wasn’t about to take the main awning all off to get it out of the way of sliding the motor out, so it’s on my list of repairs for my next visit to a shop, BCS or elsewhere.   Most owners’ moniker for the company was “Careless”.  Some say company management has changed since, but lots of us are stuck with out of warranty devices that I’m not sure they’ve come around to better supporting -or designing- than they used to.

Wish I could help more.  If you come up with a fix I failed to catch onto, please advise.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bernard J. Wooldridge

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 09:28:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply ,Joel , seems like we're on the same page,  just thought i might have missed something ....will still be on my list of repairs, but not top priority....like you , i hesitate to try removing the whole thing. will let you know if i come up with something else.......JW
2005 Monterey
C9 400hp

Bernard J. Wooldridge

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 09:52:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply,Steve....excuse my ignorance, but i don't know what or where coach assist is...i'm still trying to figure out how to use this system and spend a fair amount of time searching for definitions and procedures,etc...
2005 Monterey
C9 400hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 10:23:59 PM »
Go to the upper right of this page, Bernard, and tap the bold text link to the Club’s main beaveramb.org website page, which is separate from this Forum site.  If not registered there yet you may have to create another account so you can sign in there if you want to actually download any documents you might want.

Tap the “Technical” tab, and then “Coach Assist” at the menu’s bottom.  Scroll to find whatever resource you’re interested in, such as under “Awnings & Doors” the one from Will Hansen, “Carefree Freedom AV & OtD Tubular Motor Replacement”, which may be the one you want.  It’s been a couple of years and I don’t recall which diagrams I was using for mine;  I got them off the Carefree website.

Coach Assist you will want to remember because, like most of us, you will likely find it regularly useful.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:32:46 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat