Author Topic: Need to vent out the Aqua Hot diesel exhaust  (Read 1598 times)

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
Need to vent out the Aqua Hot diesel exhaust
« on: November 07, 2022, 04:28:50 PM »
we have brought the Motorhome inside the shop to live in  while we complete an apartment in Montana. No heat in shop yet. We have  Aquahot system in the RV. The temps will be around 0 at night for next week or so. Our electric side of the Aquahot can’t keep us warm enough so we’ll need to run the Diesel side. Problem is that we’re inside the building and need to vent out the diesel exhaust. I’m wondering anyone has  suggestions how to do that. I know that pipe attached to the exhaust will need to withstand ALLOT of heat and will need to go through the wall to the outside. Just not sure what piping will do that
Any ideas ?
Tia
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:40:13 PM by Dominic . Sue Ambrosino »
2005 Patriot

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Need to vent out the Aqua Hot diesel exhaust
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 04:41:00 PM »
I would not recommend running the aqua hot or generator inside your shop. Not what you want to hear I know. Its just not safe. 
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 12:40:05 AM »
Bill is correct.  You cannot guarantee there are no leaks somewhere along the AquaHot exhaust that might cause you grief in an enclosed environment, even if you try to pipe the bulk of it outside somehow. 

Try a couple of small electric heaters, although if you're not on 50amp power you'll have to balance them (wattage/amps) with other appliances and AquaHot electric side as you need them.  Also consider using any Air conditioner heat pump(s) if you're so equipped.  They'll work above 40 degrees F, but below that they can't ferret out any further heat from the ambient air.  Again, if you're only on 30 amp power, running even one AC heat pump will require careful discretion when turning on other 120v devices.

Also note that the shorter and heavier any power cords are to the coach the better.  If, heaven forbid, you only have 20 amp power in the building, you will be severely limited as to electric heating, so be careful.  In that instance I'd not go over 25 feet of 12 gauge (yellow) extension cord, and if close enough don't use an added cord at all;  voltage drop increases significantly over length of cord, and 14 gauge (orange) is ill advised.  Don't go cheap on cord/outlet adapters either;  buy the highest quality, heavy duty only.  I speak from 37 years of experience, not all good  :o .

Joel
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 12:55:57 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 02:05:09 AM »
Suggest you move it outside. The Aquahot should keep you guys warm.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 02:38:28 PM »
As others suggest best to not run the Aquahot indoors but if you “need” suggest you add an extra CO monitor ouside the coach and possibly a backup one inside jmo
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 05:36:26 AM »
thanks everyone! we decided not to vent the exhaust for all the reasons you mentioned. we hope to have heat in the shop within 2 weeks.! fingers crossed!!!!!
2005 Patriot