General Boards > General Discussion

Monterey vs other models

(1/2) > >>

Jimmy Garcia:
Good day,
So I am comparing the differences between the various models Monterey, Contessa, Patriot, etc.  It seems to me that the Monterey has the largest basement storage?  I have only seen pictures of other models but my Monterey has 2 compartments that slide out with the driver slide.  Also I can get half a pull out rack in the forward bay and still have enough room for a costco yellow bin in the front bay.  Also the rear bay on the is complete pass through.  From pictures it seems that the bays are wider and I am not sure if more storage is there because it looks like the fuel tank is moved to the very first bay?  I was considering moving up but underbasement storage is nice and wondering if it pictures just make the bays look smaller then they actually are in the other units?  Also I see in the wet bays of the other units did they do away with the manifold for the water systems? Thanks in advance

Fred Brooks:
   Jimmy,
Thanks for your question. My coach was built by Safari back in 2000, when storage was not very well thought out. By the time Monaco was building the 2006 models, they had refined the available storage areas. First of all, you may want to consider how much weight you are paying for as you travel around. Read the label on the driver's wall and consider what the true payload is available to you. If you are new to RVing, you will pack, and store way more than you will actually need. Stuff that is seasonal put where it doesn't take up easy access like the outboard sections of your trays.
  The lower available storage is basically the same on all the models you mentioned. Keep in mind, each model steps up with more whistles and bells from the Monterey up to the Marquis. Trays in my opinion are the most convenient because you can slide them out. I too use storage bins that fit like "Legos" with an index card on the outside of each bin to remind what's inside because I am old! Ha Ha!
Blessings, Fred

Eric Maclean:
Fred
I think we all use storage bin to organize those extras we cary along but probably shouldn't.
I've yet to break down and it's itemize their cargo but again I seam to spend too much time searching for things  lol.

The basement storage area in these coaches are dependent on coach lay out and design for instance my 1997 Patriot has no slides and has three full pass through bays with the third being partially taken up by the wet/ tank bay.
As they added slides they either made the bays harder to get to as they were under the slide or they moved the cargo compartment out with the slide which likes the size of the cargo bin this also eliminates the full past through.
Although the pass through is nice it is harder to access the center of the coach slide trays help with access but you give up a little height in the bay.
As Fred pointed out these coaches have a finite cargo carrying capacity and of course more weight equals less fuel mileage and hill climbing ability.
As for the wet bay manifold my coach has a full manifold which I don't think I've ever turned any of the branch control valves off in the whole time I've owned the coach .

Eric

Joel Ashley:
Our ‘06 Monty is shorter than most, at 36’ 10”.  This may make for less bay sizing, but it also means it’s unlikely we’ll ever overload it, given its less body on a chassis similar to if not the same as longer Montys.  Our carrying capacity is pretty stout.  Nevertheless, space considerations if not weight has to play in to planning. 

One good thing, among others, about the ‘06 is that they’re pre-diesel exhaust regulations and DEF.  The Cat C9 400 on a smaller coach has proven a stroke of luck in the timing of our purchase.  It has hill power and has few issues.  The minimal distance between fuel tank and filters mean an added pump that many install isn’t absolutely necessary on ours. 

Yours may be 40’ or so, but is like ours an exceptional rig.  If your storage is fine as is, I’d not consider “moving up”, at least not to a newer coach.

As to the water manifold, I’m not expert on all models, but I don’t know that newer ones found a way to do without  such an animal.

Joel

Jimmy Garcia:
Great reponses community,

I am interested in the storage of awkward objects vs the weight.  I have a trailer for heavy hauling.  For example the my Laguna has what I would call a L shaped main storage and then the 2 slide boxes.  The L shapes makes for storing folding bikes below a breeze.  When I looked at some of the other models it seems that they have 2 isolated I shaped boxes that may make positioning awkward items difficult?  If anyone has dimensions of their storage bays that would be great.  Thanks again all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version