Author Topic: Monterey vs other models  (Read 3277 times)

Jimmy Garcia

Monterey vs other models
« on: November 17, 2022, 04:37:14 AM »
Good day,
So I am comparing the differences between the various models Monterey, Contessa, Patriot, etc.  It seems to me that the Monterey has the largest basement storage?  I have only seen pictures of other models but my Monterey has 2 compartments that slide out with the driver slide.  Also I can get half a pull out rack in the forward bay and still have enough room for a costco yellow bin in the front bay.  Also the rear bay on the is complete pass through.  From pictures it seems that the bays are wider and I am not sure if more storage is there because it looks like the fuel tank is moved to the very first bay?  I was considering moving up but underbasement storage is nice and wondering if it pictures just make the bays look smaller then they actually are in the other units?  Also I see in the wet bays of the other units did they do away with the manifold for the water systems? Thanks in advance

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Monterey vs other models
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 02:05:11 PM »
   Jimmy,
Thanks for your question. My coach was built by Safari back in 2000, when storage was not very well thought out. By the time Monaco was building the 2006 models, they had refined the available storage areas. First of all, you may want to consider how much weight you are paying for as you travel around. Read the label on the driver's wall and consider what the true payload is available to you. If you are new to RVing, you will pack, and store way more than you will actually need. Stuff that is seasonal put where it doesn't take up easy access like the outboard sections of your trays.
  The lower available storage is basically the same on all the models you mentioned. Keep in mind, each model steps up with more whistles and bells from the Monterey up to the Marquis. Trays in my opinion are the most convenient because you can slide them out. I too use storage bins that fit like "Legos" with an index card on the outside of each bin to remind what's inside because I am old! Ha Ha!
Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 04:46:46 PM »
Fred
I think we all use storage bin to organize those extras we cary along but probably shouldn't.
I've yet to break down and it's itemize their cargo but again I seam to spend too much time searching for things  lol.

The basement storage area in these coaches are dependent on coach lay out and design for instance my 1997 Patriot has no slides and has three full pass through bays with the third being partially taken up by the wet/ tank bay.
As they added slides they either made the bays harder to get to as they were under the slide or they moved the cargo compartment out with the slide which likes the size of the cargo bin this also eliminates the full past through.
Although the pass through is nice it is harder to access the center of the coach slide trays help with access but you give up a little height in the bay.
As Fred pointed out these coaches have a finite cargo carrying capacity and of course more weight equals less fuel mileage and hill climbing ability.
As for the wet bay manifold my coach has a full manifold which I don't think I've ever turned any of the branch control valves off in the whole time I've owned the coach .

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 04:17:38 AM »
Our ‘06 Monty is shorter than most, at 36’ 10”.  This may make for less bay sizing, but it also means it’s unlikely we’ll ever overload it, given its less body on a chassis similar to if not the same as longer Montys.  Our carrying capacity is pretty stout.  Nevertheless, space considerations if not weight has to play in to planning. 

One good thing, among others, about the ‘06 is that they’re pre-diesel exhaust regulations and DEF.  The Cat C9 400 on a smaller coach has proven a stroke of luck in the timing of our purchase.  It has hill power and has few issues.  The minimal distance between fuel tank and filters mean an added pump that many install isn’t absolutely necessary on ours. 

Yours may be 40’ or so, but is like ours an exceptional rig.  If your storage is fine as is, I’d not consider “moving up”, at least not to a newer coach.

As to the water manifold, I’m not expert on all models, but I don’t know that newer ones found a way to do without  such an animal.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jimmy Garcia

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 12:08:50 AM »
Great reponses community,

I am interested in the storage of awkward objects vs the weight.  I have a trailer for heavy hauling.  For example the my Laguna has what I would call a L shaped main storage and then the 2 slide boxes.  The L shapes makes for storing folding bikes below a breeze.  When I looked at some of the other models it seems that they have 2 isolated I shaped boxes that may make positioning awkward items difficult?  If anyone has dimensions of their storage bays that would be great.  Thanks again all.

Jimmy Garcia

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 07:50:54 AM »
Any chance you have pictures of what the basement looks like?  A 36 foot beaver sounds like an awesome rig for state parks etc?  Thanks in advance. 

Our ‘06 Monty is shorter than most, at 36’ 10”.  This may make for less bay sizing, but it also means it’s unlikely we’ll ever overload it, given its less body on a chassis similar to if not the same as longer Montys.  Our carrying capacity is pretty stout.  Nevertheless, space considerations if not weight has to play in to planning. 

One good thing, among others, about the ‘06 is that they’re pre-diesel exhaust regulations and DEF.  The Cat C9 400 on a smaller coach has proven a stroke of luck in the timing of our purchase.  It has hill power and has few issues.  The minimal distance between fuel tank and filters mean an added pump that many install isn’t absolutely necessary on ours. 

Yours may be 40’ or so, but is like ours an exceptional rig.  If your storage is fine as is, I’d not consider “moving up”, at least not to a newer coach.

As to the water manifold, I’m not expert on all models, but I don’t know that newer ones found a way to do without  such an animal.

Joel

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 12:43:02 AM »
State parks are never an issue, but I have needed to suck it in at many Forest Service ones.  Usually I squeeze in somewhere, but I sure couldn’t have in many FS and NP “primitive” sites if we had a 40 footer… no thanks.

Of course you need to get creative with your storage, so I use the electrical bay (streetside forwardmost) and the power cord bay (streetside rearmost) for several things in organizing containers.  There’s also a small, narrow, shelved bay between the curbside rear tires and the battery bay where I keep tools and roadside kits.  And some things travel in the toad.  Our model has a living area loveseat with a drawer under it where I keep commonly needed indoor tools, spare indoor parts like lamps and latches, blind cord holddown spools, etc….stuff that often needs replacing,  cases of V8 or pop, and odds and ends… the proverbial “junk drawer”.

The main bay curbside with a slide tray is minimally accessible from the “water” bay streetside.  So a few long items can go all the way across the bays rear facing side;  I just used a couple short screws to hold a piece of plastic gutter atop the tray frame, and my 6’ folding ladder fits well and secure in it.  A 7 ft would likely fit too, reaching into the narrow water bay access at its far end.  Several fishing rods with reels go in PVC drain pipe screwed into the right sidewall at an angle.

If you go to Coach Assist I think you’ll find a 2006 Monterey sales brochure where you can see a floor plan of the Ventura IV and others.

Attached find photos of the main bay (photos #1-3) and it’s other side in the water bay (last photo), the streetside bay with 2 doors in the slideout, and the power cord bay behind the streetside wheels.

There’s no way to overload this rig.  It’s got well over 3000lbs carrying capacity.  Fully packed and filled, we were weighed professionally at a rally and had an enormous amount of capacity left.  Plus, the C9 at this weight has little trouble with hills.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jimmy Garcia

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 07:16:39 AM »
Joel,
Awesome photos.  Thanks for sharing.  My Laguna looks like it has maybe 2 extra storage bays.  As you said being able to suck it in is a good option and I would think parks that max out at 35 would let a 36 footer squeeze by?  Appreciate your reply.  Have a pleasant day.  Cheers.

State parks are never an issue, but I have needed to suck it in at many Forest Service ones.  Usually I squeeze in somewhere, but I sure couldn’t have in many FS and NP “primitive” sites if we had a 40 footer… no thanks.

Of course you need to get creative with your storage, so I use the electrical bay (streetside forwardmost) and the power cord bay (streetside rearmost) for several things in organizing containers.  There’s also a small, narrow, shelved bay between the curbside rear tires and the battery bay where I keep tools and roadside kits.  And some things travel in the toad.  Our model has a living area loveseat with a drawer under it where I keep commonly needed indoor tools, spare indoor parts like lamps and latches, blind cord holddown spools, etc….stuff that often needs replacing,  cases of V8 or pop, and odds and ends… the proverbial “junk drawer”.

The main bay curbside with a slide tray is minimally accessible from the “water” bay streetside.  So a few long items can go all the way across the bays rear facing side;  I just used a couple short screws to hold a piece of plastic gutter atop the tray frame, and my 6’ folding ladder fits well and secure in it.  A 7 ft would likely fit too, reaching into the narrow water bay access at its far end.  Several fishing rods with reels go in PVC drain pipe screwed into the right sidewall at an angle.

If you go to Coach Assist I think you’ll find a 2006 Monterey sales brochure where you can see a floor plan of the Ventura IV and others.

Attached find photos of the main bay (photos #1-3) and it’s other side in the water bay (last photo), the streetside bay with 2 doors in the slideout, and the power cord bay behind the streetside wheels.

There’s no way to overload this rig.  It’s got well over 3000lbs carrying capacity.  Fully packed and filled, we were weighed professionally at a rally and had an enormous amount of capacity left.  Plus, the C9 at this weight has little trouble with hills.

Joel