Author Topic: Hurricane heating system  (Read 1605 times)

Scott Hinote

• BAC Member
  • 727-744-5531
Hurricane heating system
« on: November 27, 2022, 04:33:24 PM »
I have a 2000 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga , my heater is firing off and heating okay, the problem is that out of all the registers in my Coach there are only 3 that are moving air . That’s my first question, is that the only ones I’m supposed to have or do I have some blowers that aren’t blowing at all . The ones that are working are as follows , first one is in the front between the two drivers seats, the second is on the side of the refrigerator and the third is below the bathroom sink . The next part is I don’t feel that the 3 that are blowing air, they don’t seem to be moving much air . I would love to figure out how to get to those so I can troubleshoot them, maybe there is some corrosion on some of the electrical stuff creating more resistance to the blowers , or do i need to replace the blowers themselves . If anyone is familiar with my Coach and the Hurricane I would sure like some help and answers . Thanks everyone
C.Scott Hinote
2000 Patriot
CAT 3126B  330hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hurricane heating system
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 05:10:58 PM »
Scott,
I'm working from memory here so might need correction from owner of a Hurricane equipped coach. The interior heat registers are in zones controlled by thermostats. The driver and reefer ones are in the front zone but I'm not sure if the bathroom one is in the same zone (unless your coach heat is all on a single zone). So first thing to check is if all zones are selected by the thermostats and they are calling for heat. Assuming they are and you are not getting air blowing out of some of the registers, the fans at those registers may be bad. They are a 12v muffin style fan that is available at electronics shops or on line. Sometimes you can get them working by spraying a lube into the bearing area.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 05:42:24 PM »
Hi Scott,

We have a 2000 Patriot Thunder, with a Hurricane. 

There is a front zone & back (bedroom/bath) zone.  Each zone is controlled by a 2-speed fan master switch & a Thermostat, are they working correctly?  Are you getting heat when you set the furnace temperature up?  The fans will only work when the Thermostat is asking for heat.

Accessing the registers is fairly easy, each one is different, so lift the bed, pull the drawer out, remove the cabinet floor, etc.  The fridge register return is in the front below the fridge, make sure all the returns are clean.

All are 12 v dc fans that can be cleaned or replaced.  Check the 12-volt fuse panel in the Bedroom closet to see if it has a Fan circuit.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California
The following users thanked this post: Steve Huber Co-Admin, Scott Hinote

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 07:22:08 PM »
   Scott,
My 2000 has a single thermostat which has to be set to "gas heat" If your coach has roof air conditioning, and has a seperate thermostat in the bedroom, both front and rear t-stats need to be set for heat. My thoughts also would be to clean the heat exchangers. They probably have 23 years of dust and pet hair blocking the fins and the whisper fans velocity. While you are in there, grab the heater hoses and see if they are hot. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 01:27:38 AM »
Scott,

On mine the hurricane is on 2 different zones and two different thermostats.  First the hurricane system has to be turned on then either or both of the thermostats set to heat.  There are also separate controls for either high/off/low speed of the fans. On my coach one is in the bedroom and the other in the kitchen, both are near their respective thermostats.  The bedroom thermostat covers the bedroom and the bathroom.  There is also a switch that connects the engine to the whole system to either preheat the engine or to get heat from the engine while traveling.

On my coach I had to replace one fan where a crayon had dropped down and wedged in between the blades.  It is just a small computer fan.  Even on high none of them blow all that hard.  I don't use the coach in cold weather all that much and if plugged in used electric space heaters.  It seems to me that the hurricane system takes a good amount of time to bring the whole coach up to a set point.  After that it seems to hold heat decently.  If I am paying for electricity I won't run the Hurricane, I see no reason to burn my diesel.

Hopefully this will make sense and be helpful.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Scott Hinote

Scott Hinote

• BAC Member
  • 727-744-5531
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 04:46:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input, all of those comments are exactly what I needed to hear . I think I’ve already figured out that the fan for the exchanger under the front of the bed isn’t working . Right now it looks like one of the two wires isn’t connected. Either for a reason or not I haven’t recommended them yet . Thanks again and I’ll let you know if I find anything else .
C.Scott Hinote
2000 Patriot
CAT 3126B  330hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks