Author Topic: 2000 Pat windshield gap  (Read 8232 times)

barbhalsell

2000 Pat windshield gap
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
We have the standard gap issue in the upper left driver corner of the windshield. Has anyone used a windshield shop in the Twin Falls area to fix this?
Or would we be better off doing a fix ourselves?
Picture attached.

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: 2000 Pat windshield gap
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
You can use a windshield pic (nylon tool available at glass shops) to move the gaskety and windshield but it is a very slow process. If you use a metal instrument like a screw driver you can crack the windshield. It is best to remmove the expansion bead (special tool) and use a lubricant like windex (evaporates completely) and makes abetter seal than using silicone based lubricant.

Some windshield openings (like ours) have to be resized if the gasket is replaced and best done by a good glass/body shop Lazy Days did ours after we had a front tire sidewall failure and the tire company paid for a new gasket and the work.

Places like RV Glass Solutions can reccomend a good shop.

http://www.rvglassexperts.com/

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »
It's been a while (2006) since we've used their service, but Gary's Freeway RV on the north side of I-84, where highway 50 meets it at Eden, used to handle Holiday Rambler coaches, and they did a good job on our Monterey's warranty slideout issue.  You can get there going east out of Twin on the Kimberly Road (30) or I-84.  Their website isn't active apparently, so I don't know the status of their business right now.  You could give them a call and see if they are a feasible resource for your windshield:  1-800-826-5336.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

barbhalsell

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:31:24 AM »
Gary's is out of business, another victim of the economy I think. Good people as you said.
Still not sure what we should do about the gap but think we will try the pick thing, just need to get by a shop to find one.
Thanks guys.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
Regarding that gap....I haven't noticed it on ours, but then I haven't looked yet.  It looks very open to the outside, so I suspect it may be a pretty good leak.  Is it visible from the outside also???

One more thing to look out for I guess.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:31:39 AM by 14 »

barbhalsell

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
Yes, and it will be a leak problem. We will try the pick to realign but I suspect we will have to make a trip to Bend to get a better solution. There is either the service center or an independant gentleman that is well versed in this. I would have to go back through the tech forum to find his name.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
Barb and Jack-

My son in Twin thinks the best place to call is Window Welders.  They have several locations in your area.  Sorry this info wasn't supplied earlier, but he didn't open my Sept. 9 email until today.

http://windowwelder.net/

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

barbhalsell

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »
We just want to make sure whoever fixes this has had experience in doing so. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that it is a little tricky.

JimDyer

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:39:38 PM »
I shook mine loose in a similar way going up I-81 last spring. An automotive glass guy in Petawawa, ON did mine by centering it and caulking it with black auto glass caulk. He recommended i get it pulled and reseated but it still looks good.  I was thinking of getting him to do that in the fall when we visit #1 DS on base there. I should mention it was Petawawa Auto Glass and he didn't charge me anything!

barbhalsell

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »
Joel, I called Window Welder in Jerome yesterday and they have a mobile service in our area on Thursdays. 25 years of motorhome glass experience so I imagine it should go well. Thanks for the recommendation.
Barb

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
I imagine that kind of gap may result from coach body twist;  it's easy for solid rectangles, like slideouts, bay doors, and windshields, to get dismated from a siwashed body opening.  We all should probably be much more careful when we are leveling our rigs, that we don't introduce too much contortion.  Bay door/body alignment is a good place to look for such misalignment after parking and leveling.

"Welding" a chip or hole in a windshield is quite different than re-seating heavy motor home glass.  But they've been around awhile and likely have done it before.  I'd try to get a feel for the tech's experience with your issue before giving the go-ahead.

Let me know how it works out for you.  I'd like to thank my son for assisting.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:08:57 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

barbhalsell

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »
The guys from Window Welder in Jerome just left. Looks like they did a pretty good job to me. We ended up actually having a rock chip on the driver's side glass too. They took care of that. Then scraped out old sealant , loosened the gasket and pulled the glass up and over a bit. Did the adhesive and reset the gasket. Also ran a bead of adhesive along the outside edge. They actually cleaned out and ran some adhesive on the passenger side too, just to make it look uniform. Apparently someone at some point had done a reset and glue on the passenger side.
Anyway Joel, thank you and your son for the recommendation. They are very professional and I believe did a great job.
Barb

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 07:22:47 AM »
I'm glad you got the coach fixed without having to travel far to get it done, and that the techs were knowledgeable re. Motor homes.  My son will be pleased to know he helped a bit.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat