Author Topic: Water, Oil and Brake Fluid  (Read 8373 times)

Frank Bannert

Water, Oil and Brake Fluid
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:44:21 PM »
I have a '02 Pat with 330 Cat engine. Does anyone know of a easy way to put in the oil and water and get to the brake fluid to be added.  It is almost impossible to add anti freeze or oil, without getting on a ladder and adding about 2-3 ft. of hose  to get up high enough so it does not run all over the place.  Is there a special funnel or something that can be purchased, or do I just try whatever I can to get these items in, without spilling half of it.

Frank Bannert
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:06:23 PM by 14 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Water, Oil and Brake Fluid
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
You may consider using a 1/4 in drill motor turning a water transfer pump.  Use separate hoses for each fluid.

Larry

Frank Bannert

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »
I have given that a try. But putting the anti freeze or oil inyou have to place the anti freeze and oil on a chair or table and trying to put in all of the oil it takes forever. I do not know why the filler tubes are so high and close to the top of the rear opening that you cannot get this these products in and the brake fluid is even harder to get too.

Thanks Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »
Frank,

Filling the antifreeze expansion tank was also a major pain in our coach.....lots of cursing involved. It took awhile to get a mix of parts that worked but it has become relatively easy now to top off and go through a major antifreeze change. I also use this arrangement for filling the aqua hot expansion tank.

I cut an antifreeze container in half to use as a funnel. The handle portion allows a clamp to wrap around it and my coach half ladder side rail to secure it for a major fill. The white bellows type adapter I picked up at a NAPA store and was available from a vendor. It does not make a leakproof connection to the threads of the antifreeze jug but plenty of electrical tape solved that issue.

The other end used a brass fitting and some teflon tape and radiator clamps to leakproof that end. The stainless braid hose is a standard plumbing item at Home Depot.

The small L shaped end fitting is standard 1/2 inch PVC threaded, glue fittings, and pipe which works great once placed in the tank opening. They stay in place for the fill and if cut right, just clear the available space to drop into the filler neck.

This all works pretty well, once in awhile I retape the joint between the antifreeze funnel portion and the adapter. Sure beats what I used to do. I use a small step stool to get to a comfortable height for pouring antifreeze when the funnel is clamped to the coach ladder.

Hope this helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:06:51 PM by 910 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Ed,
 I reckon that set up would win a design award !!!

Frank Bannert

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
Thanks , Ed I will give your idea a try. Pretty similar to what I have done but withe bottle cut in half will probaly save me from spilling. I think I will make 2 if this works. One for oil and One anti freeze.

Frank and Rosalie Bannert
02 Pat 330 Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
I don't know about any design award but I would miss it if I didn't have it with me...There may be a better set of fittings/device that works to couple the antifreeze container to the braided hose. If someone finds something better please post it. The braid and PVC pipe end that goes into the tank fill is just what the doctor ordered.

It had been awhile since I cobbled this together and I just went out to check the PVC end and it was a 1/2inch L and pipe fittings, not 3/4 inch that I had put in my post....I will edit and fix that.

You will have to keep an eye on the funnel part, you can certainly pour quicker than the 1/2 feed will drain. I use this for just antifreeze and would not mix the oil and antifreeze funnel systems but two would do the trick.

I remember the first time I opened the hatch and saw the overflow tank inlet on the C12......I think the term "What a**hole designed that?" crossed my lips...

Later Ed

Butch Martin

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:05:41 AM »
Where were you guys when Apollo 13 needed help?

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 03:04:38 AM »
I use a fuel line hose (marine) with bulb style pump for the anti-freeze.  To fill with oil, I use a fluid transfer pump (looks like a old bicycle tire air pump) that fits directlly into a gallon or 2.5 gallon oil container.  Still working on a funnel system for the transmission fluid.  BTW, I also use these two pumps for the genset fluid fill requirements.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Frank Bannert

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »
Thanks Karl, I will give the bulb a try for the anti freeze. That sounds good. I also need a suggestion for putting in brake fluid. I have taken the inside of the dash apart and can see the master cylinder and also crawled under to no avail in trying to reach the master cyclinder. Maybe I need a midget { no intent to discriminate} but I can't seem to be able to get to it. Whomever designed this must have thought you don't need to check these things. Or maybe he thought whenever you need to add to these things it is time to trade for a new MH.

Thanks Frank

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
Frank,

The brake fluid is not fun....  I can crawl (5'8", 220#s )under the coach's front cap and sit on the ground or stool with very small funnel and quart of brake fluid in hand.  Pour the fluid from the container into the funnel.  The hard part is making sure that you do not over fill.  This is taking place over the top of your head and is not good stuff to get on your head, face, eyes or skin.  

Also, flush the old brake fluid is a "must do" every two to three years regardless of your driving situation.

Hope this helps,

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Frank Bannert

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 02:35:53 AM »
Thanks, for the latest info Karl. Will try getting under there again. They should have thought of an easier way in production being that this is an important thing that needs to be checked. I have owned a number of MH's 7 to be exact and never had any of these kind of problems. Thanks for your reply.

Frank