Author Topic: Need to replace air dryer on 1998 Patriot  (Read 1258 times)

Jonathon Tennant

Need to replace air dryer on 1998 Patriot
« on: February 04, 2023, 08:12:29 PM »
Hopefully, someone can help me identify the correct air dryer for my 1998 beaver patriot with the 330 cat or 3126B. 6 months back on a trip the air dryer failed and the pressure switch failed. I really nice machinic helped us by bypassing the air dryer altogether to get 110 psi on both the primary and secondary tanks. It has been working like a charm since then and I have been blowing the water from the lines with the 4 values on the side of my coach. I know this doesn't get rid of all the moisture so I need to replace the broken air dryer. Can anyone tell me the model number of the air dryer or a good substitute that will work on my coach? I am a humble beaver owner of a 25-year coach struggling to keep up with all the repairs and maintenance.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Need to replace air dryer on 1998 Patriot
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 12:35:21 AM »
I don't have my motorhome near me right now, but here are a couple of old photos before I changed it out.

I don't know how much the tech took off, but mine is a Midland pure air if that helps.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Need to replace air dryer on 1998 Patriot
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 05:00:27 PM »
Johnathan
The air dryer on your coach should be as Carl stated a Midland pure air  dryer
These dryers are fully repairable / rebuild able
The parts aren't cheap but then neither is the dryer itself
It's best to remove the dryer and work on it on a bench where you can clean it up and inspect for corrosion .
The most common problem is the purge valve leaking which is completely rebuild able using one of the kits from the web site below the dryer cartridge is always a bear to get off but screws on mutch like an oil filter it helps to get it loose while it's still mounted in the bracket on the frame of the truck ( it is the most over looked maintenance item on any truck.)
The three small screws which hold the purge cover on can also be difficult and break off if they are seized a little heat and penetrating oil will help here.
There is nothing had about rebuilding one of these units just make sure to clean any sludge and dirt from all the cavities before reassembly.

The link below will give you the information your need

Hope this helps
Eric

https://www.anythingtruck.com/category/htp-brake-air-dryers-pureairplus.html

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.