Author Topic: Aladdin, Front and Rear Cameras  (Read 2089 times)

Ken Campbell

• Techman
  • BAC Member
Aladdin, Front and Rear Cameras
« on: January 14, 2023, 05:32:56 PM »
Hey all
Hope everyone is starting off the new year on a good note!!!
I have a 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder (recently purchased). I have Intec cameras under both front mirrors and a rear camera ( brand unknown). No display for the cameras that I can find. In reading through manuals and looking at wiring diagrams it appears that there was supposed to be a monitor to the left side of the steering wheel that provided camera video as well as info from the Aladdin system. I do have a Pioneer flip up stereo, however it does not have any connections to the camera or Aladdin system. Looks like this coach may have come originally with a Kenwood system and some sort of module that may have connected to the cameras???
I was going to install a new stereo deck, but not sure this will solve my problem ( Cameras, Aladdin). I admit there are aspects of this system I may not understand. Wondering if anyone may be able to give me a few pointers on where to go from here or what to look for if I am not looking in the right area.

Best Regards

Ken
KC
2006 Patriot Thunder
CAT C13 525HP

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Aladdin, Front and Rear Cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 11:53:27 PM »
Ken,
Check out page 12 of the 2004 Patriot wiring diagrams in Coach Assist. It shows the Aladdin output feeding a plasma display which is also tied in to a  dash Kenwood receiver. The 204-2006 are probabaly very similar.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

rkevincarson

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 01:03:44 AM »
Ken, we have the same coach. 2006 PT 525.  The Aladdin video module controls, left, right and rear camera output.  There in only on RCA jack that connects to the pioneer receiver. 

Ken Campbell

• Techman
  • BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 05:56:08 AM »
Thanks Steve and Kevin.  I  Looked at the wiring diagram, looks like I am missing the VCM, Or I cannot find it. I did find an RCA plug  that I suspect may go tot he camera system?? I have included a picture of the RCA Jack.
KC
2006 Patriot Thunder
CAT C13 525HP

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 08:18:04 AM »
Ken,

Check out this thread, it will show you where your Aladdin VCM is located.
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,11201.msg75735.html#msg75735

Have you verified that your Aladdin system powers up? If you ‘bump’ one of the Aladdin joysticks, does the red LED on the joystick base flash? If so, then the Aladdin system is waking up, if not, there are a couple of quick checks that you can do; make sure that the Aladdin reset switch is in the on position, also check that the Aladdin main fuse is good. The Aladdin reset switch is located in the cabinet above the passenger seat and the Aladdin main fuse is located on circuit board #5 in the rear run box.

Your coach could have come with a Kenwood or a Pioneer tilt-up Monitor-Receiver, Monaco used both (maybe other brands as well). In either case, you must select the correct video mode and input to view the Aladdin information. The only monitor that our 06 PT has ever had is a tilt-up Kenwood Monitor-Receiver right of the steering wheel, it does not have a dedicated Camera/Aladdin monitor.

If your coach entertainment systems have been upgraded this may no longer work, but as originally configured, you should be able to view Aladdin information (including camera output) on the TVs. This could tell you whether your Aladdin VCM is working. Activate the Aladdin system by bumping one of the joysticks (red LED flashing), then select the proper input on one (or both) of the TVs. Depending on the TV option, the living room input is either 1 or 3, the bedroom input is 2.

As Kevin said, there is only one video connection between the Aladdin controller and the monitor.

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Ken Campbell

• Techman
  • BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 07:20:20 PM »
Hey Scott
thanks so much for the link!!
It appears that my Aladdin is working. I have a joy stick at the driver side arm rest console and one at the kitchen sink island. When I push in the joy stick the red light aluminates and when the stick is moved side to side I get a beep. It appears that the bedroom tv has been replaced I have a bundle of disconnected RCS jacks in the cubby behind the TV. I tried viewing on the front flip down TV I cannot get any connection. At this point I am more concerned about the cameras, I wold like to be able to utilize the front and rear cameras and not put in a new system. I am going to go through wiring diagrams to see if I can figure out what all these RCA jacks are for. If I cannot get these existing cameras to work on the pioneer system any thoughts???
KC
2006 Patriot Thunder
CAT C13 525HP

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 11:10:48 PM »
Ken,

The Aladdin VCM A/V configuration varies from year to year and model to model, but I believe that the 2006 Patriot uses three camera inputs (left, right and rear) and three A/V outputs (monitor, living room TV and bedroom TV). The VCM also supplies the cameras with 12-volt DC.

All of the camera outputs terminate at the Aladdin VCM. Locate the VCM and you’ll have access to the input and output A/V cables.

For the Kenwood system, the VCM monitor output connects to the Kenwood remote unit, not the in-dash head unit (see page 182 of the 2007 Patriot Thunder wiring diagram). I don’t know if that holds true for the Pioneer system. The Kenwood remote unit is located in the same area as the Aladdin VCM, the Pioneer might be there as well.

If memory serves me, I’ve seen the ‘Monaco’ wiring diagram for the Pioneer system, I’ll see if I can find it.

I've attached an image of the Aladdin VCM

-Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 11:39:15 PM »
Ken!
I do not know if your Alladin VCM was installed in the same place as my 2006 Monterey.  I finally found mine installed out in the front cap to the left of the TV.  The only way to access it was through the removable front wall (veneer plywood) in the cabinet on the left above the drivers head.  Once I removed the 4 screws from that 6 x 12 inch plywood panel and removed it, I had access to the VCM and all the cables.  It seems the installers just tucked them out of the way wherever it was convenient.  Good luck with your search.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Don White

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 09:25:23 PM »
Hi Ken,

In my 06 Marquis the Aladdin system is located above the driver's seat behind the cabinets.

I had the passenger's side camera go bad a couple of years ago. In a reply to a post I made about replacement cameras that Intec would rebuild them for $150 each. 

I did some research and replaced both with cameras off Amazon for $42 each.  Please see pictures below.  Let me know if you're interested in knowing more.

Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti

Steve Misemer

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 01:51:17 AM »
Don White

Can you message me the info for the cameras you installed please. Also was it a direct install or? And is the picture quality better?

Thank you
Steve
2006 Marquis Jade Copper Marsh
44'
Cat C 13 525hp
Steve Misemer

Don White

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 08:08:13 PM »
Hi All,

I have gotten a couple of messages asking me about the cameras I used to replace the OEM ones.  Please see below for additional information.

The link below will take you to Amazon and the cameras I bought.

Amazon.com: NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera,IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Black) : Everything Else

I have placed some pictures below of how I mounted them into the bracket on the bottom of the mirror.  I used a #5 rubber stopper I got at ACE, one for each side.  I drilled a whole through the stopper to run the mounting post of the mirror.  The whole I drilled was slightly smaller than the mounting stud of the mirror to ensure a tight fit to prevent any water seepage when driving in the rain.  The whole is slightly off set from center, so the camera fits entirely under the mirror bracket on the mirror.

I used a jam nut on top to secure the mirror.  I tightened it enough to ensure the mirror doesn’t move when bouncing down the road but can be adjusted with my hand if needed.
I ran the wiring from the camera through the mirror arm by attaching it to a long wire tie and feeding it down the arm.  I used some Dawn detergent to help lubricate it.  I did have to remove the mirror arm from the mount on the from cap of the coach.  Took a couple of tries but wasn’t to frustrating.

I then ran it where the old cameras wiring was across the generator bay to below the dash on the driver’s side.  I then ran the second length of wire that comes with the camera kit, it has the RCA jack on one end, from the Aladdin unit down the A pillar on the driver’s side to behind the dash.  I removed the A pillar to do this.  Also, that will give you access to where you can feed the wire into the generator bay.  Then it was just a matter of connecting the wire from the Aladdin box to the wire coming from the camera.

The picture quality is better than what I was getting from the old cameras.  One would hope so given the improvements in electronics and cameras over 16 years.

I have not replaced the rear camera since it still works.  I do know there is an access hole in the closet to that camera.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Don White
2006 Marquis Jade IV C13
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hydralift
2006 HD Fat Boy
1997 Safari Serengetti