Author Topic: Rear Air Ride Level Control Valve  (Read 1661 times)

Mark Nagy

• BAC Member
Rear Air Ride Level Control Valve
« on: January 27, 2023, 12:59:35 AM »
We have a 1996 38' Emerald Marque with the HWH combination Hydraulic/Air leveling system. The ride height control valve works fine when traveling.  But when trying to use the air leveler when parked is not working on the driver side rear because air feeding the the height control valve is leaking at the input portion of that valve and I suspect it is faulty where the air fitting is connected to the main body.  This air fitting swivels to accommodate various positions so there must be a bad o-ring in it.  But before I take it off to better examine, I want to get a replacement in hand.  Does anyone know where to get one and what the part number is?  This is the rear air bag height control valve with the metal arm attached to it for determining ride height and has to have the optional Parked air leveling input. 
Mark Nagy
1996 38' Beaver Emerald Marquis
CAT 3176B dual Jake 365HP
2001 Jeep Wrangler

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Re: Rear Air Ride Level Control Valve
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 02:04:05 AM »
Mark,

You should be able to get what you need at a Napa or any big truck repair or parts house. One word of caution, make sure you block motor home so it won’t drop on you when you disconnect the fitting to airbag. This can be very dangerous so be very careful. If not comfortable with attempting repair, then hire a professional. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 04:24:08 AM »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 04:20:31 PM »
Mark
After rereading you original post it sounds like it's not your ride height valve but a problem with the HWH six pack valve for your rear leveling.

If the ride height is achieved when the HWH leveling system is set in travel mode the ride height valves are working correctly.
When the HWH is asked to level the coach it uses solenoid valves in the six pack control valves ( front and rear) to by pass the ride height valves and takes control over each air bag individually through the six pack valve to achieve leveling.
It sounds like you may have a faulty solenoid valve in the six pack or leak at one of the O rings.

The six pack valve is named for its six solenoid valves , there is one six pack for the front axle and one for the rear axle.
There is a raise solenoid and a dump solenoid for each wheel and a pair of solenoids that control the air feed to ride height valves.
Each of these solenoids screws into an aluminum block manifold and are sealed with O rings those O rings can get hard and break causing air leaks.

In coach assit there is a troubleshooting manual for the HWH air leveling system which can help you to diagnose and repair the system.

Hope this helps
Eric
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:05:00 PM by Eric Maclean »
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mark Nagy

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 06:19:03 PM »
I looked at the suggested replacement leveling valves & I am not sure if they are the correct ones.  Mine appears to have two air supply inputs - one for the traveling level control, and the other supply input for the HWH leveling when parked.  I don’t see the Parked HWH leveling supply input on the schematic for the suggested replacement valve.
And to comment on the recommendation that the HWH control solenoids are defective.  I am positive it is the leveling valve because air leaks out of the valve around where the HWH parked air leveling input is when it try’s to raise it.  It can’t get enough air pressure built up to raise because too much air is leaking out.  Again, I suspect it may be an o-ring in the swivel fitting.  But without taking it out of the coach, I am not sure if it comes apart or if it is permanently attached when manufactured (molded in place).  It is usable as is, as long as the rear does not need to be raised above travel height.  Normally I use the Hydraulic jacks when camping,  but if I stop for short period of time, I like to use the air leveling so the refrigerator can function. So before I remove it to repair it, I would like to have a replacement in case it can’t be fixed.
It’s kind of a hassle to put the coach on ramps and safety blocks, craw under and work on it.  And prefer not to leave it that way while I wait for replacement parts.
Thanks for all the inputs
Mark Nagy
2001 Jeep Wrangler

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 07:37:44 PM »
If you haven't, suggest you call HWH. Might take them a few days to get back to you but they should be able to provide the info you are looking for.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 09:34:59 PM »
Can you get a picture of the valve ?
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Mark Nagy

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 08:15:28 PM »
Well I finally got the beaver out of the barn so I could get under it again.  I learned a lot today.  First, after getting lots of light under there, I found there are only two air lines connected to the leveling valves (thought there were three), so it is just a generic ride leveling valve.  With that said, there is no possible way you can exceed the ride height when trying to level it for camping.  All you can do is lower front, back or side.  And once lowered you can raise the front, back or side up to ride height and that's it!  So when I try to raise it manually or Automatically, once any one of the leveling valves reaches and tries to exceed ride height, the leveling valve begins exhausting the excess air that is trying to be put into the air bags.  This exhaust air is what I thought was an air leak.  It jus happens to be near where the air supply attaches to the leveling valve.  So long story to short - the problem is not the coach but me hahahah.  If I were to design it, I would have over ridden the ride height valve to maximize adjustment (Maybe newer coaches are this way).  And actually more useful, I wish I could be able to raise the the rear (or front) in situations when the road, driveway or whatever situation arises when an extra few inches above ride height would prevent dragging or scraping since they have such massive overhang from the axles. I Welded a heavy duty roller to the ball hitch insert which comes in play many times.  Thanks to everyone for chiming in.
Mark Nagy
2001 Jeep Wrangler

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 04:33:50 AM »
Our ten year newer 36’ coach has “limiting straps” on the rear that stop the rear from going higher than would stress the drive line.  Your 38’ rig may also have such limiters if it has a driveline between axle and tranny that is relatively short compared to 40 footers.  Think about it, a short coach = a short driveline that can angle up much more steeply than longer coaches, straining components if fully raised while in motion.

In our case that produced an incidental frustration where the front, unlimited at max lift, raises higher than the rear, actually angling the rear bumper, mud flap, and hitch lower than when in travel mode, dragging flap and digging the hitch on asphalt and concrete.  So I too added a clamp-on Roadmaster roller to the hitch.  It can take some abuse, so needs cleaning and relubing regularly.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 05:28:41 AM »
Mark
 if your coach has a HWH air leveling pad your ride height valve air lines should run to a "six pack valve " which controls the air dump .

Check the HWH 600 series leveling service manual in the coach assist section of the forum

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 02:41:28 PM »
    Mark,
Here is what it looks like. If you have the HWH computerized leveling, there is 1 above the front axle and 1 above the rear axle. fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Mark Nagy

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 06:35:43 PM »
I saw the solenoid control valves in front of the rear axle.  Everything is working as designed, I was just expecting it to raise higher than ride height (if needed) when parked & using air leveling. It levels pretty good as is for most spots. And for longer term parking/camping I use the hydraulic system.  I also carry a set of 8" ramps for extreme slopes & to prevent lifting the wheels off the ground..

Thanks again!
Mark Nagy
2001 Jeep Wrangler