Author Topic: 2002 Patriot on Magnum Series B Chassic  (Read 1360 times)

Jack W Hannah

• BAC Member
  • 713 248-5405
2002 Patriot on Magnum Series B Chassic
« on: February 07, 2023, 07:08:10 PM »
While watching an RV driving tutorial recently it referenced the term "wheel cut" when describing proper right-turn technique at intersections.
Does anyone know the angle of "wheel cut" for this chassis when front wheels are fully turned in either direction?
I can't find any reference to this spec in any of my manuals.

Thank you.
Jack Hannah
2002 Patriot 40B, Monticello
Cat 3126, Magnum Series B

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: 2002 Patriot on Magnum Series B Chassic
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 08:22:24 PM »
42 degrees
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida
The following users thanked this post: Jack W Hannah

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 11:13:38 PM »
Jack
Remember all things are relative here the cut angle of the front wheels is determined by the set point of the spindles hard steering stops which is more often than not determined by the manufacturers choose of suspension components.
For example the magnum eight air bag chassis has two large I beams running fore and aft to the air bag beams that the axle is bolted to requiring the hard stops to be adjusted so keep the tires from contacting those beams or the frame rails on hard turns.

The cut angle is only part of the equation as the wheel base also determines the turning circle and cheat on corners .
The longer the wheel base ( distance from the center of the front tire to the center of the rear tire ) has a huge effect on turning radius the longer the wheel base the larger the turning radius and the more cheat off on corners
( Cheat off is the difference between the line ( circle) the front tires take going are a corner aposed to the line ( circle ) the rear tire take going around the same corner .
This is the one that gets most drivers in trouble because if you don't go deep enough into the intersection before starting you turn
The cheat off will cause the rear wheels to cut the corner so to speak and run over the curb or any obstacles in its way.

When driving a long wheel base vehicle it is important to stay close to the center line of the road or in some cases to cross the center line and drive as deep as possible into an intersection before making your turn .
You will see this every day if you watch tractor trailer drivers negotiate intersections.

One of the best peices of advise I could give you is to watch you mirror and as the rear tire comes even with the obstacle your are turning around then start your turn .
Some people even place peices of tape on the mirror that coincide with this position to make it easier.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jack W Hannah

• BAC Member
  • 713 248-5405
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 06:31:29 PM »
Eric-Thank you for the detailed response. Very much appreciated.
Jack Hannah
2002 Patriot 40B, Monticello
Cat 3126, Magnum Series B
The following users thanked this post: John Demartini