Author Topic: Fresh Water Pump Switches in Kitchen 2000 PT  (Read 1211 times)

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
Fresh Water Pump Switches in Kitchen 2000 PT
« on: January 29, 2023, 12:11:09 AM »
What does the Right RED switch do besides light up? It does >Something< because it has a yellow and a white wire on it.

We generally leave this switch alone. However something (Very) weird and: Not Logical started happening on our last trip. When the Water Pump is turned on, We could not Start nor Shut off the Generator  :o Additionally, the Water Pump light on the CMP would light and then go out while the pump was on. When I switched the pump off at (either switch) We COULD start & Stop the Generator. With the Water pump off, and generator running, the Generator Light was illuminated. BUT: When the Water Pump Switch was turned back on, BOTH indicator lights for Generator and Water pump would be dark.  ::)  The water pump ALWAYS operated normally when turned on.

What I later found (after opening up the whole CMP panel to investigate) was that this Red Switch in the kitchen was accidentally placed into the ON (Up) position (contacting the White and Yellow wires together). We normally leave it in the off or down position. When I turned this Right Red switch off (Yellow wire to Unused pole on switch), Everything started working normally.

So where does this bottom white wire of this switch go?

You would think that the water pump and Generator switch would be completely different and isolated systems. But they are not. They share a common white wire and both have wires terminated in a couple of connectors. You would think that they would be separate connectors, one for the Water pump, One for the generator, But they are not.

So all of this starts acting up when that right Red switch is turned On (Up), And everything goes back to normal including the indicator lights when the Right Red Switch is turned off (down)

So what does this switch do? and where does the bottom White Wire go?

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:38:12 AM by Mike Tomas »
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Fresh Water Pump Switches in Kitchen 2000 PT
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 02:03:24 PM »
    Mike,
I have a few questions for you. Are the water pump switches "momentary" and can you turn the water pump on in 1 location and off in another? Are you the original owner of the coach? The only common denominator between the 2 systems is the white wire. The generator uses a white wire to activate the red indicator that shows the generator is "on" and also powers up the generator hour meter. If your coach has the Safari version of a water pump activation system (various locations to operate the water pump), it has a "ground trigger relay" to complete the water pump relay circuit. This is also a white wire. I am thinking that some where in your coach these 2 white wire may be accidently connected or touching each other?. Before you go to far, please don't start changing the wiring or jumping wiring to new locations because it may make the diagnosing the issue more complicated. Please advise, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6