Author Topic: Drain Master valves  (Read 1409 times)

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
Drain Master valves
« on: January 31, 2023, 06:19:51 PM »
I have had an ongoing problem with sticky/non-functioning "Drain master" electric valves.  I have replaced them multiple times, valves that work while at the repair station and then fail when I get home. The instructions say to not over tighten the valve. I remind the mechanic about the issue. The valve works fine testing it at the repair facility and then fails trying to use it a few days later. I then have to remove the cover from the water station and use the supplied manual key. As soon as I get the valve to move even slightly it works normally. I use valve lubricant and flush the tank every drop, but the problem re-appears shortly. Bend Beaver says they can replace the electric valves with manual valves for approximately $2,000. I understand owners that have made the conversion still have issues with the valve operation. I would appreciate any input re: the manual valves and other possible solutions to the sticky valve problem.
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Drain Master valves
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 06:57:25 PM »
I share your frustration.  I replaced both of our coach's drain valves several years ago and have continued having a problem with opening them.  So far, it has worked for me to work the electric rocker switch back and forth between OPEN and CLOSE while holding the switch in each position for no more than a second or so after hearing the sound of the moving valve.  The lady at Drain Master warned me to not hold the switch in either the OPEN or CLOSE position for longer than about two seconds.  Otherwise, you run the risk of overheating and burning out the valve motor.  As I said, so far by pressing the electric switch back and forth, sometimes as many as ten or more times, I have been successful in getting the valves to open and close.  Once I get the valves to move, it seems they will operate properly if again used within a few days or a week.

Another trick I use is to put about a quart of cheap cooking oil into both tanks to lubricate the valves when the coach will be sitting for weeks or months without being used.

As you pointed out, overtightening the four bolts on the valves will make the motor have to work harder to open/close the valves.  I know I overtightened mine just a bit when installing them.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Carr, Robert Mielenz

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 08:58:32 PM »
Robert,

Try opening the valves with engine running or when plugged in. The higher voltage helps get the valve motor moving easier. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.
The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 09:37:46 PM »
I'm usually plugged in. I measured 12v at the switch.  Thanks for the come back.
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 12:26:20 AM »
On our 06PT I changed one of our valves to a manual but kept the other as electric. The manual valve is availble from many suppliers try Amazon server drain gate valve they will cost 20-30 dollars and very EZ to change youself . When I sold our 06PT I did pull the manual unit and installed the electric very EZ and maybe [$30.00)
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz