Author Topic: External Speakers  (Read 2552 times)

Jerry Pattison

External Speakers
« on: October 28, 2021, 03:46:37 AM »
This is a 20 year old issue that I have never resolved.....actually have never tried to resolve!  My external speakers are so quiet that I have to turn my inside volume up to deafening levels to have a nice sound outside on my patio.  Anyone know why??

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: External Speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 01:09:35 PM »
  Jerry,
Are you using your Bose amplifier? There is a switch up by the video selector to turn on the amplifier then turn on your Bose life style and select the input for the dash radio. Then switch on the external speakers. Control the volume with the Bose remote. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 01:25:33 PM »
No, Fred.  The Bose is long gone.  I am using a Sony surround sound receiver, CD, DVD player.  However, the problem existed with the Bose before it was replaced.  My switch for the external speakers is on my dashboard, lower right near the generator start switch.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 01:15:46 AM »
   Jerry,
Here is a possible solution. Locate the external speaker wires and attach them to RCA male audio plugs. Plug them into an aux audio output on the back of your Sony home theatre. Next you have 2 choices, use the radio or cd from the Sony home theatre to power up the external speakers OR run a red and white RCA audio cables from your dash radio aux output to the Sony aux audio input. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 02:35:06 AM »
Good advice, Fred.   It is a project I will attempt whilst we are doing a week in Mission Bay with nothing much else to do!!  If you are not busy.....!!!

Thanks, and Blessings.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 02:51:04 AM »
  Have fun in Mission bay and email me if you have any questions, Enjoy the Joy, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Preston Nash

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 01:17:00 AM »
I have a similar issue with this same speaker switch.  I have replaced the Bose with a Marantz surround receiver and 5.1 Klipsch speaker system.  The dash radio was set up in a way I can't exactly figure out.  They had the DC dash radio running the front 2 AC Bose speakers and then if you turn on the external speaker switch, the dash radio ran what appear to be DC outdoor speakers.  Now that the Bose is gone, the outdoor speakers do not work and the dash radio will not run any speakers inside.  With the exception of the outdoor speakers, I found the existing speaker wires and ran them directly to the new Marantz amp which worked fine.  I'm  going to connect separate stand alone speakers in their own box to the dash radio for use while driving.  I'd like to implement the external speaker switch  and have it where I can switch between the inside speakers and the original outdoor speakers.  In addition to the two sets of speaker wires that I think go to the outdoor speakers, there are two more connections on the switch with white wires that are also connected into some other wiring.  I have no idea what those white wires could go to, or which connections do what on the switch.  Maybe I'd be better off abandoning the switch and just running the outdoor speakers to the rear speaker connections on the dash radio and using the fader to select between inside  and out?  Any thoughts on this?  I'd kind of like to have the original external switch working but it isn't a must.     
Preston Nash
99 Marquis Tourmaline, Cat C12 425hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 03:04:19 AM »
Preston
In my 97 Patriot there is a blue relay box located in the cabnet behind the front television.
It has all the speaker wires connected to it and allows the speaker to be switch from either the surround sound or the dash radio
The relay normally connects the speakers to the surround sound system.when the radio switch on the dash is turned on 12 volt power is sent from the switch to the dash radio and to the switching relay box which then connects the speakers to the dash radio.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.
The following users thanked this post: Preston Nash

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 02:48:28 PM »
   Preston,
You will find the wires and RCA plugs you are looking for at the Bose amplifier located in the dash across from the passenger seat. Everything went to that amplifier and was controlled by the Bose remote control. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Preston Nash

Preston Nash

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 05:02:12 PM »
The Bose receiver is still there in front of the passenger.  I haven't removed it yet, so all of that wiring is still there.  I'll go in there and explore that wiring.  Eric, I think my setup is a little different than yours, but the switch may function the same way.  I'll check it all out and see where it goes. 

Thanks for the help.
Preston Nash
99 Marquis Tourmaline, Cat C12 425hp

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 11:59:59 PM »
   Preston,
Let me clarify what I was trying to say. Across from the passenger seat looking at the dashboard, there is a removeable upholstered panel held in place by 6 screws. Directly behind that panel is the Bose amplifier. This the amplifier that is turned on by the switch above the drivers head inside the cabinet that contains the video control box. The amplifier contains all the speakers and rca connections. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 03:43:50 PM »
Preston
I'm sure your right my coach has the older Pioneer sound and surround system while your coach has the Bose system
I'm sure that if you follow Fred's direction he will get you where you want to be.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.