Author Topic: Marker light replacement  (Read 1387 times)

Mike Hallgrimson

• BAC Member
Marker light replacement
« on: April 21, 2023, 09:36:32 PM »
2003 Patriot Thunder. I have removed the old marker lights (in pieces). The new ones have a foam gasket. The old ones had no gasket and we're completely covered in silicone. (see pictures) My question is should I use any sealant around the edges? As I look at the gasket and screws it seems like it would not be required. Thanks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Marker light replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 11:49:42 PM »
It is common for those lenses to dry and micro-crack, allowing water to sneak by and into the cap interior.  Although there may be a provided gasket, many of us ensure things by adding sealant anywhere water might find entry. 

I and others here have come to prefer a product called Lexel in lieu of silicone sealants.  It can be used for any sealing jobs.  I've come to use it at home as well, anytime I drill a hole for screws, etc., in an outside surface or apply in some way something where I want to be sure rain or sprinkler water can't get past.  You can work it with a wet finger similarly to silicone products, but it is not silicone, and cures relatively fast, so should be worked soon after or during application.  I use clear for everything, but there is a white version. 

My only complaint is that if not carefully capped, it will plug its nozzle during long storage, and I must squeeze out a couple inches from a stored tube before getting to less viscous, workable product.  Trying to use thickened stuff is a pain.  But fresh Lexel works easily enough.  And properly, cleanly applied, it seals exceedingly well.  It can be pretty sticky and can even be used on wet surfaces, so is handy in emergency situations such as leaks during rain.  10-14 years ago a badly deteriorated upper windshield escutcheon and brow was feeding rainwater inside our cap and filling the electric bay.  I used Lexel to fill all the cracks and gaps in the rubber, and smeared thin clear layers over the yellow clearance lamp covers that I knew could be a problem, and not a drop has entered the cap or bay since.

Lexel is available in handy squeeze tubes and I've seen caulking gun sized ones at Lowe's and other places.  Ace hardware has the squeeze tubes hanging over their caulking tube display.

Contrary to the Ace description, it's not "rubber".
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/caulk-and-sealants/caulk/17531

https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/
Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 12:07:09 AM »
I forgot, Mike, that I'd used it on my stepdaughter's old Nissan Sentra that has to be parked outside 24/7.  It kept getting lots of water in the trunk and she'd be constantly toweling it out after rains and leaving the lid open to dry.  Rust was becoming a problem.

A few years ago I finally cleaned around the rear window with Simple Green and ran beads of Lexel around the top edge of the chrome glass trim, the verticals, and the entire bottom window trim.  I worked the beads smooth with a wet finger.  As is always the case, the cleanly worked clear Lexel is hardly visible.  She's had no trunk leaks since.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Hallgrimson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 02:38:18 AM »
Joel, Thanks for the input. I will look for the sealant over the weekend. I am pretty sure these were the original lights. The rears had sealant around the opening for the wires which head gone inside and around the rear cap. Pretty much had to destroy them to remove. All done and looks great.
Mike