Author Topic: Leaking power steering fluid from reservoir cap.  (Read 2804 times)

Jose Rita

• BAC Member
Leaking power steering fluid from reservoir cap.
« on: May 29, 2023, 08:20:53 PM »
Hi , I have a 2002 Beaver Patriot that just started leaking power steering fluid from the reservoir cap.  The cap clicks as I turn it.  I cleaned the cap and around  the opening but pours out with engine running.  Has anyone had this problem or know where I can get another cap if that is the problem.

Thank you
Joe
2002 Patriot Thunder

Jose Rita

• BAC Member
Re: Leaking power steering fluid from reservoir cap.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 08:30:25 PM »
Correction its hydraulic fluid for the steering and fan.  The reservoir is in back passenger service bay.

Thank you
Joe
2002 Patriot Thunder

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 02:02:03 AM »
Jose
After running the engine does the fluid seam foamy as in air infiltration?
 Does the power steering work properly or does it feel inconsistent.
 I'm assuming your coach only has a signal hydraulic pump that runs both the fan and the power steering
And has a signal hydraulic reservoir with one cap .

Have you added hydraulic fluid to the system?
How long has this fluid leak been happening,  has anything changed? Does the cap seal look compromised?
 Most of these systems should run with the cap removed with no problem unless the return line is too close to the fill port/ cap area.
In a system with a single pump driving a power steering and fan there will be a priority valve which will give priority to the steering system and divert flow away from the fan motor to the power steering if the pump can't maintain enough flow to maintain proper power steering operation .
Alternatively the fan system uses a hydraulic fan motor with a switching valve attached this switching valve allows the hydraulic fluid to bypass the motor resulting in low speed fan operation and return directly to the reservoir through a wax pellet thermal control valve usually installed in the upper rad hose / pipe when the coolant reaches a set temperature the wax pellet expands closing the valve causing the switching valve to stop the by pass and all the fluid then passes through the fan motor resulting in high speed fan operation.

Sorry for the long winded response
Hope this helps you understand the system a little bit better
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jose Rita

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 11:07:13 AM »
Eric, the leak just started.  While working on a wiring issue I would run the engine for 10 minutes to not drain the batteries. I usually do this where it is parked, on somewhat level ground with no issues.  When the leak started I had moved it to my driveway which is on an incline..would this do it.  I have not added any fluid it doesn't look foamy and the steering wheel works fine, lock to lock.  I wiped the cap and fill area.  The cap seal looks ok and no rough spots on the fill opening.  The cap looks like it is vented. I am gonna try bringing the it to a automative store and see if they can match it.

Thank you for the explanation on how the fan works.  I had a Safari Trek before this one so hydraulic fans are new to me.
Joe
2002 Patriot Thunder
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 12:55:40 PM »
Jose
It sounds like by parking on an incline you have changed the fluid level in the tank just enough to allow the cap to leak when running the turbulence of the moving fluid is finding a way past the cap seal.
I'd try a new cap and try it again.

It may also be time to consider a fluid and filter change.
This is a often over looked and important maintenance item as the hydraulic fan motor requires a lot of horse power to drive at speed ( in the 25 to 40 hp range) this generates a lot of heat which is transfered to the fluid and dissipated through the hydraulic cooler this heat will degrade the fluid  over time creating wear in the components this wear allows internal leak by which inturn creates more heat and if left without being changed will cause components to fail. Most frequently the fan motor or pump as the are the components with moving parts and highest heat generation.
So as you can see it's important to change that oil and filter to avoid the death spiral.
Most of these systems used Dextron 2 ( red ) or AW32 ( yellow clear like thin engine oil)
My recommendation is to change the hydraulic fluid and filter on a by annual basis regardless of mileage as the fluid will as oxidize will time.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Jose Rita

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 01:22:50 PM »
Yes, I am gonna try to locate a new filler cap. Thanks for the advice about a fluid change i will do before heading out.
Joe
2002 Patriot Thunder

Jose Rita

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 01:24:51 PM »
Eric is there a drain point for the fluid or will it drain out once filter is removed.
Joe
2002 Patriot Thunder

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 01:59:29 PM »
My unit is different from your's as I have a double tank reservoir and two separate hydraulic pumps one driven off the time cover for the power steering and the other driven directly off the end of the crank shaft.
On mine I disconnected the return line to drain the fluid .
But check your tank and see if the is a drain plug also if the filter is below the reservoir you may be able to drain the reservoir that way

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR