Author Topic: TOAD Equipment  (Read 1508 times)

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
TOAD Equipment
« on: June 04, 2023, 02:37:47 PM »
We have towed a 2019 Ford Expedition for the last couple of years. Unfortunately we've had so many issues with this vehicle that we are getting rid of it. We are not sure what we will get for a replacement TOAD, perhaps an older Jeep or 4Runner. In the mean time I'm looking for advice as to equipment that I might want to remove to reuse, since its unlikely that any buyer will purchase  it to tow. We have a Blue OX set-up with Air Force 1 braking system. The Blue OX equipment on the Ford I would assume is pretty specific to the Ford, however the Air Force One I would assume could be re-used. Leave the Blue OX and remove the Air Force One? Thoughts? Thanks
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45'
C-13

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: TOAD Equipment
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 10:10:08 PM »
Bill
You are correct the towing base plate on the expodition will be pacifically for that vehicle and will not likely of any further use to you.
You will need to buy a new base plate for your new tow vehicle.
You will also need to consider the new vehicle requirements such as lighting and weather or not you will require a charge line  etc.

However the Demco Air Force one braking system is probably the most expensive piece of towing equipment on the vehicle and can be removed and reinstalled on another vehicle.

Demco also has a reinstallation kit to help you with the reinstall which gives you some of the common replacement items.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Demco/SM99226.html

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 12:34:53 AM »
Bill,

Definitely grab the Demco Air Force one, it you can use.  The base plate probably won't be of much use to you unless you are good at fabrication,  if you are you could cut it apart and re-weld it into a unit that would fit your new vehicle.  If you are looking at older jeeps or Fourrunners then many of the custom bumpers can be set up for blue ox tow points.  I have welded up several tow bumpers or full tow bars, but you may or   may not be comfortable doing that. 

And just so you know, its almost as much of a PIA to remove a base plate as it is to install one.  Lots of trim pieces have to come off and if it was installed with red locktite heat used to get the bolts out.  While you are grabbing  stuff get the pins too, you may be able to reuse them or have spares.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 11:20:39 AM »
Bill
We tow an explorer.  Have for years with very good results.  We recently had an Expedition though not for towing.  Absolute junk.  That said we have been spoiled by the Lincoln Navigator and since the 2018 became towable we bought a 2019 for towing.  Love it and it is so well made we can’t have it made into a tow car, it is too pretty in and out so we are still towing the explorer. 
Go with a Lincoln.  You just can’t go wrong.  Had our last Navigator 19 years and hated to sell it.
Good luck what ever you choose.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 12:53:17 PM »
I agree with Keith.  We’ve towed our ‘97 4X4 Explorer since ‘06, but much to our chagrin new ones aren’t towable, so we’ve kept the old one.  If I were to get a towable newer car it would be a Lincoln Nautilus (just not the 2024 one that’ll be made in China 😥).  Check the FMCA towables lists online, and Consumer Reports’ ratings.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 02:29:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input. I removed the Air Force 1,  which was an interesting process tracing the wiring. Also traded the Expedition for a Mercedes GLS which has the third row seating that we need when we have guests in town. Still haven't sorted out the new Toad, perhaps an older Jeep or 4Runner, the prices are crazy.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45'
C-13