Author Topic: How to order a belt for my C9?  (Read 10882 times)

Larry and Heidi Lee

How to order a belt for my C9?
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »
What one phone number can one call to order a spare main serpentine belt for an 04-05 CAT C-9 with credit card in hand over the phone? Please, proven contact information only, no speculation or guessing-Thank-you.  :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:09:32 PM by 14 »

Dick Crovisier

Re: How to order a belt for my C9?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »
Beaver Coach Sales and Service is a sponsor of our group. Contact information is found on the home page.

Ordered a spare belt from them within the last 60 days, paid by credit card and the belt was delivered in three days.

Great company that knows Beaver product and provides great customer service at fair prices.

Good luck.

DC

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
Larry,

If you have the part number (it should be listed in your manual) or if you can read the current belt's part number, then just go to any NAPA or heavy truck parts store.  These belts are very common and should be on their shelf.  I would highly recommend verifying the belt part number before you order.  The first belt I bought based on the part number listed in the Beaver manual was not correct.  Therefore, had to take it back and replace with the correct length.  

As an option, once you verify the part number, is to google the part number and many sites with come up on your computer.  Choose the best one and call them with the part number to order with your credit card.  Just make sure you have the correct part number for the belt before you order over the phone.

Good luck,

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
Thanks Guys. I called Monaco (my rig built in 05) parts department and after a 15 minute discussion I was told CAT was no longer a vendor they could order from. I find that hard to believe. Then again the gal I spoke to at first asked if a C9 was a Cummins so who knows... ::)

Karl, interesting comment about the part number in your manual being incorrect. The number on my belt appears to be: [size=14]209 4229  [/size]However the manual states: [size=14]206 4229 [/size]Anyone know which one is the correct number?

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:18:57 PM »
I gave Beaver Coach Sales a call but they didnt know what belt to sell me and asked for my part number. I gave them my part number of 209 4229 but they show a different part number of 206 4229 and cannot be certain it is correct. Apparently a pulley was changed at some point during the manufacturing process and was not documented clearly in Beaver's system.  

Dick Crovisier

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »
Go with the number on your belt. The belt may be uniqe to Beaver based upon the equpment hung on your engine.

I gave Beaver Sales and service both numbers. They verified the number on the belt prior to shipping and did send the correct belt.

DC

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:05:29 AM »
I'm puzzled why the OP wouldn't have simply gone to the closest CAT service provider to get the part.  The list is available on the CAT website and the whole transaction would probably have been faster than what he experienced.  

I usually try to get parts and service directly from the source rather than dealing with middlemen like RV dealers and/or manufacturers. Why get a CAT belt from Monaco when they will get it from CAT anyway?

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 06:49:29 AM »
The coach manufacurer may order a motor and then add accessories like the air conditioning compressor which allows them the option to supply the belt that fits utilizing their own PN. In many instances there will be no PN cross references for a belt length that has such limited applications in the aftermarket arena. This is not always the case but it is quite common.

Later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
Any NAPA store or other parts stores that cater to trucks can match your belt with a different brand of belt. You would have to remove it for them to measure if they cannot match the part nuimber. They usually run in the $30 range. If you have never changed the belt it is between 6 and 7 years old so if you remove it put the new belt on and save the old one(s) for a spare.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:02:28 PM »
I looked at the Dayco site and found the 206-4229 translates to a Dayco belt quite nicely.  You could also use the Dayco number and lood at Gates.

http://www.accessdayco.com/Interchange.aspx

http://www.accessdayco.com/AdditionalInfo.aspx?Part=5080775

Roger Bowton

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 02:49:37 PM »
I just replaced a belt on my 06 C9.  I don't have the coach here, so I can't look up the number, but my cat number was the same as yours.   Just call a CAT dealer, and give them the part number, and ask for length and number of ribs.  I went to an Oriley's store, and gave them the specs, and got a new Gates belt, for approx 55 dollars.  It was 1/10 of an inch longer, but that is no big deal, with the belt tensioner.  You can get a new belt at almost any automotive store, but they can't cross it with a Cat number, as Cat is reluctant to furnish specs. on parts, so aftermarket suppliers cannot duplicate, but a dealer will tell you.  Saves a lot of time and shipping costs.

Good luck

Roger
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:57:04 AM by 14 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
Once you have a PN cross reference or dimensions, I would try and buy the replacement in the Gates Fleetrunner Line.  They are maybe $10 to $20 more expensive, but you will more than make that back in service life.  These belts have improved polymer composition and belt material, and are made to take the heat, do not dry out, and therefore, do not crack so readily. There are online PN cross references.  NAPA sells these belts under a NAPA Heavy Duty Series, using the NAPA name, with just a digit change in the PN.  You can tell if you are getting a belt from this line, given they are green in color on the outer perimeter surface.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2690&location_id=2743

I was able to get a micro V belt in this line that fit my C12 in a 2002 Marquis.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:04:57 AM by 14 »

JimDyer

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
I have a C-12, so it's not directly comparable, but....When my AC compressor seized this spring, it took out the belt, and the truck repair place I took it to, couldn't get it either in a time frame I could live with.  So, they replaced the idler with an inner instead of an outer, eliminating the AC compressor and reducing the belt length from 116.5" to 86", which they had on the shelf. At the time I learned that Beaver designed the accessory mounts and the belt path and length, so that CAT doesn't know what belt you need.  And Beaver renumbered the belts to keep the parts business in-house.  The numbers were a bit of a struggle, but another member here had both Beaver and Gates numbers, so that we were able to find one, then didn't need it.  IIRC, NAPA had them within 5 miles of us.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:08:18 AM by 14 »