Author Topic: Tire Choices -Steer Tires  (Read 14446 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: Tire Choices -Steer Tires
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 08:47:07 AM »
Jim,
Bridgestone does not require a nine inch wheel for 11/22.5 tires. Here is a link to Bridgestone wheel requirements.
http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/load/misc_pdf/minDualSpacing.pdf

Gerald

Robert Mathis

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
Dick, I don't have the tire seminar experience, but I have had two tires blow on my previous coach. I bought a 2001 Discovery in 2005 with less than 10,000 miles on it. In 2007, I loaned it to my son to take his family, and very pregnant wife, to a funeral in Kansas City. (she was too far along to fly). On the way, he had the left steer tire blow on the interstate, which cost over $2000 to replace the tire and repair the damge to the air brake lines and fender area. On the way home, a rear dual blew, that one did no real damage, but when he called and asked what to do, I had him replace all the rest. We inspected those tires before he left, and found no cracks or checks, yet they were obviously dry-rotted. My tires on the Beaver are dated 2006, have 40K on them and look like new. I store it inside a barn, out of the sun, but still worry everytime we use it. I have actually already replaced the steer tires due to uneven wear caused by an alignment problem, but will replace all of them before our trip next summer.
I consider my son very fortunate that he was able to control the Discovery when it blew the steer tire. He's a good driver, and traffic was light. He still said that it took 5 minutes after he got it stopped before his rear end released the seat. The cost of the new tires is far outweighed by the possible cost of a blow-out. Since then, I've had problems on two seperate trailers with tires that looked fine, were properly inflated, but failed. One blew, ripping the fender off the trailer ( I didn't even know it was gone until a passing motorist flagged me down. It was a light trailer with the golf car on it), and the other threw a chunck of tread about the size of a football. I now replace every tire on every trailer when it gets to be 5 years old, regardless of how it looks.

JimDyer

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Jim,
Bridgestone does not require a nine inch wheel for 11/22.5 tires. Here is a link to Bridgestone wheel requirements.
http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/load/misc_pdf/minDualSpacing.pdf

Gerald

Gerald, Bridgestone Tech Support told me initially that the R250F would work in a 295/80/22.5 to carry the load but if you look at the spec table for the R250F https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_catalogs/trucktires/app  
it shows a 9" rim size, and the Tech Support guy said all their 295's required a 9" rim.  

Now i just need to see if the dual spacing fits the 13.2" shown on the page you pointed me to. ....And that will allow me to consider a lower priced Michelin as well.....the XZA2 Energy.   It would be nice to have three choices!

Man, this stuff is complicated!  Gerald, every time I read one of your posts I learn something. Thank you!

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
So what does IMHO mean?
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

Robert Mathis

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
In My Humble Opinion.

JimDyer

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 06:31:59 PM »
Quote from: John Harris
So what does IMHO mean?

In My Humble Opinion, or in other words, I disagree and here's why!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 08:45:04 PM »
Quote from: ]
And that will allow me to consider a lower priced Michelin as well.....the XZA2 Energy.[/quote

When I made my purchase the XZE2+ was slightly cheaper than the XZA2 for the 275/70-22.5 which really surprised me when I discovered how well they rode.