Author Topic: House batteries  (Read 4083 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
House batteries
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »
I have Trojan 105 6V golf cart batteries in my 07 Contessa. They are now 5 1/2 years old and we have been fulltiming that entire time. The water has always been at the correct level and are never dis-charged below 50% (with one small exception at a Monaco service center). They are equalized about 3 times a year.

I just equalized them 4 days ago, followed by a 200 mile drive. I then checked them again with my hydrometer and each cell was between 12.75 and 13.00, in the green area.

Should I stick with them a while longer of consider replacement?

Ken Sair 2007 Contessa
BAC members since 2006

Edward Buker

Re: House batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »
Ken,

Trojan makes a good battery and you have been on top of the maintenance and limited the discharge by not taking them into deep depletion. Given all the cells are giving you good readings I would just soldier on until there is some indication that the batteries are lacking capacity or you have a bad cell. Could be next week or 3 years from now...

Later Ed

Steve Jewell

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »
Ken,
 We service and customize golf carts and see batteries that are 10 years old all the time. I would use them until there are signs of a problem. If you go to Trojans user guide   ( http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJN0109_TRJNUsersGuide.pdf ) it will tell you what a good battery will read and how it will act.

Steve J

Butch Martin

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »
If it isn't broke, don't fix it....

Butch

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:14:43 AM »
Thanks for all the opinions. I have some added info as we are now boondocking outside Moab Utah.

Sunday, arrived at campsite and setup  about 1pm. Watched football for 4 hours. At 2:30 batteries were 12.3 and at 5:30 they were 12.0. Ran the generator for about 2.45 hours and shut it off at 8pm. Watched TV till just after 11pm and batteries back down to 12.1.

Inverter off. Awoke at 8am and batteries were 12.3. Got that 'inverter off' bounce. Wife ran genny for 45 minutes and when I got back from golf the batteries were 12.3. At 5:30 they were 12.1. So it appears they are holding a charge very well. Seems my inverter/Driectv box and television use quite a few amps. Without the inverter and the things run off it the batteries seem OK

Thanks again. Any and all opinions welcome.

Ken Sair 2007 Contessa
BAC members since 2006