Author Topic: replacing front DS/PS slide out cylinders 2006 monterey  (Read 1310 times)

John Ziomek

• BAC Member
replacing front DS/PS slide out cylinders 2006 monterey
« on: August 29, 2023, 06:59:42 PM »
 Hello fellow gypsies (part or full time),
 I recently tried to close my slides and lo and behold it (PS) quit.  After some investigation I have discovered my chrome rods on both cylinderrs have copious amounts of rust...determined after looking at the (DS) cylinder which is still out, therefore I guessing I have torn out the seal for the passenger side cylinder.
What I am requesting, if possible, is advice/suggestion/lead as to where I can find information (CD,thumb drive.service manual {not owner manual} on how to replace these units.  Also where to purchase replacement cylinders.  I have a request already in the works with the Beaver people in Oregon,not sure how long for a response, but would appreciate any further suggestions or advice.

I know there are several knowledgeable folks out there I just hope someone will respond to my predicament.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

JJZ

2006 Beaver Monterey 40'

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: replacing front DS/PS slide out cylinders 2006 monterey
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 02:18:01 PM »
Try using emery cloth to clean the rust. Then use an oil soaked rag to wipe residue off followed by another oil soaked rag. If the cylinder has rust probably the slide arms and roller bearings and timing gears will also. Lots of penetrating oil as you clean will go along way before having to replace the cylinders. The cylinder end seals are replaceable if they leak after you’ve cleaned the rod (shaft).
 It’s been many years since I had to replace the seal on one of ours but for a different reason.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9
The following users thanked this post: John Bagwell