Author Topic: Satellite TV cable routing?  (Read 1554 times)

Preston Nash

• BAC Member
Satellite TV cable routing?
« on: December 20, 2023, 06:04:16 PM »
I want to run a coax cable from the front upper cabinet where my DishTV equipment is located down to the electrical bay, so that I can connect to my portable satellite dish outside without running it through a window.  Before I attempt this, I'd like to know what I'm going to be dealing with.  It looks like the pillar between the driver's side window and the windshield has a removable panel.  I'm assuming there's a wire route through there.  Will it be simple to run a cable through the TV box above the driver, down through that pillar, through the panel to the left of the driver's knee and then into the electrical bay?  Please let me know if there's something about this idea I may not know. 
Preston Nash
99 Marquis Tourmaline, Cat C12 425hp

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
Re: Satellite TV cable routing?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 10:51:53 PM »
My coach has an external coax in the water bay intended for cable. Even though it's RG-59 instead of RG-6 that Dish specifies, I found no issues using it with my Dish tailgater. It's just a little more lossy. The cable splitter for it was behind one of the panels over the drivers seat.

I haven't tried to route a cable down to electric bay but interested to see how that goes for you. Not a bad idea. I installed dish traveler on the roof couple years ago and for the most part I've been lucky not getting blocked by trees very often.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington
The following users thanked this post: Preston Nash

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 12:14:57 AM »
Preston,

You can indeed run it down the pillar and then either under the dash and down through the front cap or to the console area where the transmission shift pad and then down into the electric bay.
 Or as Gene has pointed out there is a coax cable available that is generally used for a cable tv connection.  You can go either way.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Preston Nash

Preston Nash

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 03:26:27 AM »
The cable that was originally in my water bay is no longer there.  I haven't pulled the panel to see if it is laying behind.  For those who may read this, if the cable passes through the selector box above the driver, it may not work for modern satellite TV.  I'm no expert on this, but from what I've read, it will not work to run satellite TV through an old box like that. 

I took the panel off at the windshield pillar and there are a lot of electrical wires running through there down to the electrical bay.  But, the factory sealed the area around the wiring to the extent that I was afraid to interfere with it and risk damaging some wiring.  I did find a solution though.  I started at the electrical bay.  There's a rubber boot around the wiring going up into the coach and into the pedestal at the left of the driver's knee.  It was easy to push the coax up into that pedestal.  From there I ran the coax to the rear of the pedestal and then there was room and flexibility enough to run the wire between the edge of the box and the wall and then up behind the front curtain shroud.  I used cable clamps to run the wire up to the top of the shroud and then to the inside of the curtain track.  From there it goes to a ventilation louver on the left side of the TV box and then through the cabinetry to my TV equipment.  When we set up camp, we can just run the coax that is rolled up in the electrical bay down through the existing port to the satellite antenna.  Originally I intended to permanently mount the dish antenna to the roof.  Prior to doing that, we were in a spot where had it been on the roof, we would have had no reception due to the trees.   There's some advantage to using a portable antenna. 

Preston Nash

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 04:28:54 PM »
   Preston,
  Do you have a coax connection like this in a storage compartment on the passenger side?
  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Preston Nash

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 05:25:25 AM »
I'm sorry Fred.  I just now revisited this and saw your attempt to help me.  I don't know if I have that.  I don't remember seeing it, but I'll need to check next time to be sure.  Thanks for helping.
Preston Nash