General Boards > Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome

Residential Fridge Installation

(1/1)

Joel Weiss:
We just completed our residential fridge remodeling. We used a Samsung counter depth 18 cu ft unit that has been popular for replacement of the Norcold 1200.  The work was done by Truline RV of Spokane WA.  We are extremely pleased with the outcome and our interaction with Truline.  We highly recommend them to others.

David Fischer:
I looks like a great job Joel.  My 97 Marquis refer is in the same spot as yours and i would need to have a couple of drawers removed to fit the new one witch is not a problem.  I wonder what other things you had to do to make it work.
I have 6 batteries and a Freedom 2000 inverter, and I was led to believe that I would have to upgrade my inverter.  Any help would be appreciated as that is probably my next project.

Joel Weiss:
The key change we made was to alter the coach's wiring so that the refrigerator circuit now goes through the inverter; the microwave circuit was swapped for it so the microwave doesn't access the inverter.  We have 6 6-volt batteries and rarely boondock so, along with the solar system, we calculated we would be fine for up to a full day without having to run the generator.  In fact, we often use the genny while driving to run the A/C's like many other people.

Samsung has publicly stated that this refrigerator can operate with a modified-sinewave inverter.  They subsequently backpeddled a bit when I think they realized that people were installing the units with undersized inverters.  The Samsung statement now says that the consumer should make sure the inverter can provide 11.5 amps of current for starting the motors.  Here are the Q's and A's as provided by Samsung;  if you read through them you can see the evolution of their position: http://answers.us.samsung.com/answers/7463/product/RF197ACRS/samsung-18-cu-ft-french-door-refrigerator-questions-answers/questions.htm

We seem to be running (and even making ice) while running off the inverter.  Today the coach was being serviced and the fridge ran off the inverter for ~4 hours and the batteries didn't appear to be significantly discharged.

Other that that and removal of the drawers, little else was done.  The roof vent was sealed and foamed closed as was the side access panel.  The fridge uses every inch of depth, but you can see from the picture that it doesn't stick out any further than did the Norcold.

So far we are thrilled; it was great to be able to buy more than a couple of days of groceries.

Steve Jewell:
Joel,
       How are you keeping the doors closed when traveling?

Thanks Steve J

Joel Weiss:

--- Quote from: Steve Jewell ---Joel,
       How are you keeping the doors closed when traveling?

Thanks Steve J
--- End quote ---

We have a spring latch that keeps the freezer drawer closed.  Our installer has found a latch that will keep the doors closed, and he'll install it for us when we stop by in the spring.  In the meantime we just use a Velcro strap around the door handles.  I'm not sure they'd come open anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version