Author Topic: Hurricane heating system ITR  (Read 1244 times)

Brian Buchanan

• The Buchanan's Rolling Down the Road
  • BAC Member
Hurricane heating system ITR
« on: January 22, 2024, 11:44:25 PM »
Hoping for some assistance with a older Hurricane system, CO45DRF model.

This hydronic heating system has an issue refiring after it has cycled off of the aqua stat switch, here is the symptoms.

On initial start up the boiler fires as designed, and the boiler burns until it comes to temperature, and as designed the aqua stat switch shuts the burner off until the boiler temperature returns to the refire stage. It is at this point that the burner attempts to refire, but after failing to refire the third attempt it sets the "flame out" system code. I have tried a number of things to restart the burner at that stage with no luck.

Upon trying to diagnose the unit I have found that the igniter is glowing, the air compressor sounds to be running, which leads me to believe that the issue is fuel related either the fuel pump or the fuel regulator.

After the boiler cools down (15 - 30 minutes) the burner will refire and operated till the aqua stat switch shuts it down again, but will still not refire.

In the recent past I have replaced the aqua stat switch, the high temp limit switch, the air fan, fuel filter, a number of rubber fuel lines, the nozzle and have purged the fuel system. I have also repaired an electrical (brush) issue in the air compressor motor and now have run out of ideas ... just looking for some guidance from someone that may have fought this battle.

1998 Patriot Thunder
40' Brandywine
C12 CAT

Thank you
Laurie & Brian Buchanan
Full Timers
40’ 1998 Patriot 425 Thunder
425 hp C12 Cat
Tow 2007 Ford Sport-Trac

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hurricane heating system ITR
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 01:35:33 AM »
Brian,
Just a WAG but have you checked the flame sensor? If it is failing due to temperature (always sensing a flame in the burner once it heats up) it would not allow the  burner to restart until the sensor cools down.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Brian Buchanan

Brian Buchanan

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 02:46:21 AM »
I actually had not thought of that, I will look into that tomorrow. WAG is what I'm looking for at this point
Laurie & Brian Buchanan
Full Timers
425 hp C12 Cat
Tow 2007 Ford Sport-Trac

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 01:36:17 PM »
    Brian,
  As Steve mentioned, there is a haze that will build up on that photo cell and cause that. Also look at the insulation around the glow plug and make sure the hair clip has not torn thru it when you reinstalled it. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Brian Buchanan

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 02:23:18 PM »
Thanks Fred, The hair clip seems to be fine on the igniter, and if memory serves me correct the indicator lamp on the eye, usually flickers as the eye reads the flame. I will check this morning but I'm still leaning toward the fuel regulator for the same heat related idea. I will let everyone know when I get to the bottom of the issue.
Laurie & Brian Buchanan
Full Timers
425 hp C12 Cat
Tow 2007 Ford Sport-Trac
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 10:38:05 PM »
Brian
This is not likely your issue but while your working on the unit it's a good idea to clean the combustion chamber and exhaust pipe the exhaust has a bad habit of getting plugged with rust flakes creating a combustion air flow issue and rich operation causing the combustion chamber to soot up quickly which can also create issues with the flame sensor .

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.