Author Topic: 12 volt outlets  (Read 7782 times)

barbhalsell

12 volt outlets
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
Has anyone added 12 volt cig lighter type outlets to their older coach? Just realised we have none. It would be nice to charge our phones at the dash and also have a 12 volt bedside fan.

Dick Simonis

Re: 12 volt outlets
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
We had one low on the drivers side of the consule and had two more added for that exact reason.

barbhalsell

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
Did you add them yourselves or hire it done?

Frank Bannert

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »
I use the one next to my TV booster, to charge my phone.  Mine is right above the driver seat.

Frank
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:21:52 AM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:30 PM »
Ours has one under the dash that is factory installed. Great for GPS and other things.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:26:33 PM »
Are you positive you don't have one, Barb?  Some aren't in the dash, per se, but down low alongside the center console or other inconspicious place.

I intend to put one in the copilot's wallside controls panel, so the buscuit burner can plug in her 12v blanket without stringing a cord across the entryway to the center console outlet --- I'd trip over it for sure at a fuel stop, viewpoint excursion, or something.  She gets cold easily, esp. next to the door, working door seal or not.  The only things putting me off are drilling a hole for the outlet in that beautiful cherry wood, and no obvious easy access inside the panel for mounting and routing wires under the floor to tap the lighter circuit at the center console.

Lazy me, it may never get done even though I already have the parts  :P.  That seems to be my way... idea light goes on in brain, then rush to get components for great idea, then comes comfortable feeling in depths of soul from knowing I have everything I need, then project waits on back burner for years while my laurels rest.  ;D

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:32:55 AM »
Mine is low on the driver's side of the console, just a few inches off the floor.
I have added half a dozen to my boat, wherever I find I can use them.  They are always useful.  I will be adding some more on the Beaver.  Easy to do yourself.    Best if you can run your wires all the way to the 12V bus in the locker below the driver, find a fuse that is sized for the anticipated load, connect.

barbhalsell

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 01:51:52 AM »
I hunted all over the dash today and never saw one. Then Jack gets home and says yeah, there is one under the dash. Hmmph! Anyway, one is not enough and I do want a 12 volt fan on my side of the bed. One of the someday do's after the more important projects are done. Thank you everyone. Thanks for letting me know Keith that it is possible and not too hard to do. Jack was trying to make out like it couldnt be done. HA! ;D

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 02:49:52 AM »
I hated the one under the dash because a plug could be jostled by a foot, etc.  I had three put into the right side of the dash (facing the wooden shelf) a number of months ago, but I had to add one on the left side of the dash (through the wood-look plastic) because my Garmin needed to be closer to a window to ensure it could always "see" the GPS satellites. So now I have 4 new ones and the original and they are all in use: Garmin, XM tuner, TPMS monitor, WiFi Ranger router, Wilson cellular amplifier.  I even have a "doubler" in one of them in case I need to charge one of the cell phones! ;D

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:04:46 AM »
Great shots of the Salmon River on your website, Sandie & Joel.  I like flyfishing the Salmon, but haven't tried yet the section I think your photos show.

Joel A.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

JimDyer

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
Are you positive you don't have one, Barb?  Some aren't in the dash, per se, but down low alongside the center console or other inconspicious place.

I intend to put one in the copilot's wallside controls panel, so the buscuit burner can plug in her 12v blanket without stringing a cord across the entryway to the center console outlet --- I'd trip over it for sure at a fuel stop, viewpoint excursion, or something.  She gets cold easily, esp. next to the door, working door seal or not.  The only things putting me off are drilling a hole for the outlet in that beautiful cherry wood, and no obvious easy access inside the panel for mounting and routing wires under the floor to tap the lighter circuit at the center console.

Lazy me, it may never get done even though I already have the parts  :P.  That seems to be my way... idea light goes on in brain, then rush to get components for great idea, then comes comfortable feeling in depths of soul from knowing I have everything I need, then project waits on back burner for years while my laurels rest.  ;D

Joel

Hey, Joel, I resemble that remark.  I already have two factory outlets up front - one in the TV switch block area behind the driver's head, and one on the co-pilot's side of the rolltop, beside the slide control, and facing you when you come up the stairs. So, my parts are to put a 12v outlet in at the curbside of the bed for my bi-pap. Eliminating the 120v to 12v wall wart is supposed to halve the power draw overnight when you consider the inverter use.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 02:09:29 AM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
Great shots of the Salmon River on your website, Sandie & Joel.  I like flyfishing the Salmon, but haven't tried yet the section I think your photos show.

Joel A.

There were even more spectacular areas but I wasn't able to pull over in some spots to take pictures.  My wife started taking "through the windshield" pictures, but, by then, we had passed through some of the most dramatic scenes.