Author Topic: Hydraulic Cooler  (Read 1099 times)

Bill Heffernan

• BAC Member
Hydraulic Cooler
« on: March 27, 2024, 12:17:30 AM »
We recently had a hydraulic leak that resulted in a loss of steering. Ironically I was in route to drop the coach off to have a couple slides serviced. Fortunately I was able to get the rig off the road and had it towed in. They have now diagnosed the issue as a leak from the hydraulic cooler. The leak was coming from somewhere over the rear wheel well. The service center wants almost $4000 to replace it. While I'm limited in my options since the coach cannot be currently driven, I'm curious if anyone has had this issue and what  they were charged. Thanks
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45'
C-13

Don Forsyth

• BAC Member
Re: Hydraulic Cooler
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 02:49:27 PM »
I just saw your post about the Hydraulic problem you had/have. I did have a similar situation. 2005 Beaver monterey, Laguna   IV. I had it in the shop to have the engine compressor replaced. It got pretty cold overnight and apparently when they started the engine the next morning to pull it into the shop the hydraulic cooler blew fluid all over the snow on the ground. They took the cooler over to a radiator shop and had it welded. But the pressure in the system is so high that when they started the engine, it just blew the hole again. I found a new cooler online for just over $900 and took it to the shop. They installed it. I then had to go through my manual to find the correct fluid to put in the reservoir. It is NOT transmission fluid. I don't remember exactly what the manual said without looking it up again, but it is not cheap. They charged me just over $1500 to do the work and the cost or the fluid.
I also researched and found the engine compressor, purchased it for $700 and took it to the shop for them to install. All totaled they charged me $5000. I think they may have put a little in there for themselves.
2005 Monterey
CAT C9 400hp