General Boards > Technical Support

Hydraulic pump leak

<< < (3/3)

Don Forsyth:
Frank, thank you for the link. That really turned on a light. That makes perfect since now, that coupling would have a flared fitting at the supply line. Apparently the end with the straight tread, threads into the housing and the nut acts like a lock nut but with the O ring sealing it.

Eric, thanks for your input. That's a good idea, I will look along the supply line for a shut off. But I got a feeling there isn't going to be one. Last thing I want is 10 gallons of fluid on the ground.

I had to replace the fluid about two years ago. I had it in the shop to replace the engine compressor. It got really cold here in Denver and when they started it to put in the shop it blew out the hydraulic cooler. Unexpected repair. If I remember correctly the fluid was about $300. I found a new radiator because they could not repair the old one. That was over a$1000. Again, thank you for your help. I will let you know how it turns out.

Don Forsyth:
Sorry for the long delay, but I finally was able to get back to the storage lot and change the O ring on the hydraulic line. It was a little challenging to say the least. The nut on the pump is 1 7/8", and the nut on the line is 2". I only have a pipe wrench a spud wrench to work with. The access is not great, the wrenches were really hard to manipulate in the areas that I need to access. A 5 pound persuader helps too. Just to give the fittings a little love tap, and a cheater bar. I was going to buy a tapered plug but didn't and wished I had. I put a clean 5 gal. bucket underneath to catch the oil. Once I had the compression nut loosened the fluid started run out into the bucket and down the side of the engine. Thanks to the wind. I had a good rag at hand and when I had the line completely off, it was like someone opened the floodgate. I stuffed the rap into the end of the hydraulic line and it held back until I could get the elbow fitting out and change the O ring. The O ring was square but tapered on one edge. After running to the hydraulic store and finding out that the O ring was supposed to be round and the old one was just smashed. I could have picked it up a Ace hardware.

Reassembly went really quick, but by the the time I got the hydraulic line reconnected I had 4 gal. of hydraulic fluid in the bucket and about a quart on the ground and tools and me. Pretty messy job. But it is done and no more leak.

For anyone that is going to tackle this job, I would highly recommend you get a 1 7/8" Jam Nut wrench, I should have, but window of opportunity now and I had to take advantage off it. Also get a Tapered plug. Both items will run you about $20.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. It would have been alot harder to do this job without them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version