Author Topic: 12 volt lights blink  (Read 5382 times)

Joel Weiss

12 volt lights blink
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
For the past week or two our under cabinet 12V lights (and those under the LR cornices) will blink off for a moment and then come back on. This happens maybe every 10-20 minutes or so, more so after they've been on for a while.  We're connected to 50A shore power.

Tonight the blink lasted long enough for me to get up and try the cornice lights only to find them off also. A moment later both came back on.  To me this would appear to be a self-resetting circuit breaker but I don't know of any in the lighting circuits.  Everything else seems totally normal.  

We are using the same 10W ML10WH2C bulbs that we found in there.  I assume this is the correct wattage.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: 12 volt lights blink
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
Probably wired from the front bay on the drivers side with a reseting breaker relay. Could be as easy as cleaning the contacts.  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:02:37 AM »
Thanks.  So the relays are those little boxes which don't correspond to the ones in the owner's manual.  Assuming I find the right one, does the box come apart so I can clean the contacts?  I assume I could also buy a replacement?

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:09:32 AM »
Joel,

When you say cornice lights do you mean the sconces that are 120v or are all the lights that are cutting out 12v halogens?

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Joel,

When you say cornice lights do you mean the sconces that are 120v or are all the lights that are cutting out 12v halogens?

Later Ed

This only affects the 12V lights.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
Joel,

Mine are 10w also and I think that was original. It could be a breaker, switch, or a bad wire contact/crimp connection. You might try and tap each light fixture lightly with a screw driver handle and any relay or switch that is involved and see if you can induce the flicker. You may need to pull each light fixture in the circuit and check the crimps and wiggle the wires to check for flicker. You should be able to exchange the relay with another and see if the symptom moves or disappears. If so replace the relay. Thermal breakers are tripped by load and heat. You could pull several bulbs (maybe a third of the load) from the sockets in that circuit. With the reduced load in that circuit see if the tripping stops. If it does replace the thermal breaker if it exists. Hope this helps.

Later Ed