General Boards > Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome

Satellite dish

(1/5) > >>

Jeff Watt:
Hi,

Well I just have been on my first extended trip with my 05 Patriot Thunder and enjoyed the trip - a couple of little issues, leaking fuel line to the genset, and a possessed headlight switch (lights come on for no explanation).

I am asking for any thoughts from other owners, although I expect almost all are based in the USA and have one of the US satellite operators. My coach has a TracVision system and I believe it works well, however for me my only option with it is to use BELL ExpressVU satellite. Now this poses three problems, one I already subscribe to Shaw (StarChoice) so I would have to get an account with Bell. Secondly the Bell system doesn't extend to the deep South of the US.  Thirdly, Bell is not what we call support friendly, i.e. if I call while in the US they will shut the system down.

SO, I have been thinking of changing the TracVision for a different system that accesses the StarChoice satellites. I know this will be about a $3500 touch, but I want to be able to access it from anywhere without too many complications.

Has anyone put one of these units on their motorhomes, example WineGard Trav'ler or Motosat HD? I know they aren't quite as aesthetically pleasing as the tracvision and one better remember to lower it or it is screwed....

Thoughts..

Thanks,

Jeff

Joel Weiss:
We have a Winegard Trav'ler for DirecTV and love it.  It is exceptionally reliable at finding the satellites even through moderate tree cover.  When it's down it can hardly be seen so I don't see the aesthetic issue as all that significant.  Furthermore, it works far more reliably than the aesthetically pleasing but awful King Dome I had on my Class C.  And yes, it is necessary to remember to lower it, but that is simply part of our checklist and walk-around check.

JimDyer:
Hi Jeff,

We have a Shaw ground dish, and can verify all the tales about Bell and how good they make the Post Office look. But I know nothing about the mobile units......I tried a Kingdome and got nowhere.  

But I can tell you it's nice to have the US networks at 2 different times (Eastern and Seattle) plus 6 sets of Canadian networks, plus DW's 'gay decorators' plus two sports neworks, Peachtree, etc.  Makes me chuckle every time my winter neighbours complain!

Oh, and the summer disconnect works like a charm. 6 months after I email in the seasonal disconnect I get an email..."your shaw satellite service will reactivate on October 12, 2011" and they really do cut off the billing for six months.....

Jim

Larry Fisk:
I had the MotoSat HD installed on ours and love it. We even got HD channels in most of Alaska and Canada. We have direct tv service. It is more expensive than the winegard but so far we are very pleased with it's performance.

Ken Buck:
Do you notice your headlights on after you use the windshield wipers? That's the one that amazed me.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version