Author Topic: Satellite dish  (Read 20481 times)

Jeff Watt

Re: Satellite dish
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
Robert mentioned that I should just get a Direct or Dish subscription however I was under the belief that to get a Dish or Direct subscription, I need a US address. Is this correct?

I am going to post the light issue in the Tech section.

Jeff

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
As far as I know you need a US address and soical Insurance number. I have a Dish system and I used the address of the park we stay at in the summer but I still had to get the lady that operates the park to resister with me to get my Dish system set up. Used the Dish equipment as it was in the coach when we purchased it.

Harvey Ziegler
2004 Monterey Newport
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Cochrane Alberta.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

JimDyer

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
i've had Direct and Shaw is better. More choice for both US networks and Canadian, great customer service, slightly more money, but well worth it.

You can get Dish on a short-term deal with no SIN required.

Ken Buck

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
Well, that's good news for most of us that have Dish. I can tell my wife that I signed us up with no SIN. Would it have been venial, mortal or original?

In the US we typically call it an SSN, Social Security Number.  

Ken

JimDyer

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »
Up North here we're a lot more relaxed about that stuff, Ken!   After all, let he who has no SIN cast the first stone and all that. Maybe that's why we're not so quick to pileon,.......hmmm?

BTW SIN= Social Insurance Number or, I prefer,  Single Identifying Number

Jeff Watt

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »
I installed the ExplorerSC system which is designed to work with Shaw (used to be called StarChoice). it is a 75cm dish so it takes up some room on the roof and needs a fair bit of clearance around it to operate. The unit has a built in GPS so knows where it is to align the dish.

They used one co-ax line from the TracVision which goes to the bedroom so I will have a receiver in there as well. When running the cables, they ran two coax to the front so I can use the 630 receiver which is a PVR.

The control box is relatively large so it couldn't fit in the cupboard above the door so it is in the cabinet where the Tv receiver and DVD are located.  

Seems pretty good so far, but of course I only have tried it at home. Best thing is I took a receiver (new type 605) from the house and so there is no learning curve re. channel surfing.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
FYI.
You may be interested to know that down here in Los Barriles,Baja California Sur,Mexico no one can receive Direct TV anymore .DTV  launched a new satellite last year that has a very accurant "spot" beam(s) system. Most of the RV's we have met have switched to Shaw /Starchoice. With a 75 cm eliptical dish you get a very good signal with all HDTV channels as well. We have ordered this system and will use a portable dish until we can get the Wingard dome replaced . DTV cannot be received in mainland Mexico either and it might be that Canada is also out of range.

Frank Bannert

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »
We have a king Dome on our '02 Pat. and I had Dish network on our other MH, and this one was using DirectTV, and we had to take it to a TV installer, and have it reprogrammed for Dish, and works just fine.  I would suggest talking to someone in your area, if this can be done to yours, before installing a new satellite.  Could save you some bucks.

Frank
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:07:53 AM by 14 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
My Winegard Road Trip Dome can be switched to Dish network but it is only a 12 inch elliptical dish and these just do not work down here in Mexico. January 2011, I could get DTV in Ensenada, but further south than that, no signal at all.  Other coaches with 60cm roof dishes could get signal as far as Guerro Negro.   Shaw uses a different system, and the foot print extends over Mexico, as far south as Puerto Vallarta!!!  The new Explorer SD 75cm dish works well here, as will any portable 75cm dish, with Shaw/Starchoice.  With a 60cm dish, you will have some HD channels drop off.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:12:15 AM by 14 »

rex unicume

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 07:47:14 PM »
Hi there,
I am a Canadian, and just installed a Shaw Direct sat system.
Well a couple of months ago.
It is a Winegard Trav'ler Automatic multi satellite tv antenna system.
The dish etc. that goes on the roof has Shaw Direct written on it, so it is sort of oval.
The electronics inside the coach is the Winegard Travler 7002.
I had it installed in Abbotsford B.C. by NetKing Sat Wireless Solutions Ltd.
It works great everytime.
Yes, your price is right, but worth it in the long run.
If you have your Shaw direct box with you all you need to do is get the system installed in the U.S. and away you go.
Cheers
Rex
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:14:42 AM by 14 »