Author Topic: heater disturbution problems  (Read 6123 times)

Fred Nikirk

heater disturbution problems
« on: October 08, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »
I have a 2001 patroit thunder my dash heater fan works, heat control works, and the distrubution will only defrost any suggestions
fred &angie

Gerald Farris

Re: heater disturbution problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
Fred,
It sounds like you have a vacuum line off or a bad vacuum pump. The mode doors in the dash climate control system (AC/heater) are controlled by vacuum just like most of the systems in cars, and since your diesel engine has no vacuum source like the gas engine in your car, the vacuum source to operate the mode doors is a vacuum pump that is located on the firewall.

On your coach it will be a small electric pump about two inches in diameter and six or eight inches in length. The pump can be wired two ways. The most common way is that it will run when the key is turned on until the desired vacuum level is achieved or it can be wired to only run when the system is turned on.

The easy way to check the pump is to first check for loose vacuum lines. If they look OK. Remove the output line from the pump and turn on the key. The pump should have a slight vibration in it if it is running, if not turn on the AC fan. If the pump still does not run, check the voltage at the pump to be certain the it has voltage and ground. If there is voltage and ground to the pump and it does run with the hoses off, replace the pump.

Gerald    

Fred Nikirk

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
Thank you for the reply Iwill check it out
fred &angie

Fred Nikirk

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
I found the disturbution box with a green and a white vacuum line running to it. Ialso found a small value with 2 red line and two wires running to it . It looks like a pressure releif valve but no pump. Does the dash hinge up or do i have to pull the face to get behind it

thank you fred& angie

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 02:41:50 AM »
Fred,
The vacuum pump is located on the firewall between the dash and the front cap. You access it from under the coach. On coaches with a front mounted generator, it can be a little difficult to access, however with a side mounted generator it is easy to access if you are skinny enough because you can standup between the firewall and front cap on most coaches. The real easy ones to access are the mid to early ninety model coaches because they have a removable panel in the middle of the front cap below the windshield.

Gerald

Fred Nikirk

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 04:33:37 PM »
found it and fixed it thank you very much for your help.
fred & angie