Author Topic: Check Engine Light when cruise control is on  (Read 8398 times)

Dick Crovisier

Check Engine Light when cruise control is on
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:43:58 PM »
Our 2007 Contessa has recently started having our check engine light come on when going up hill under load, when our cruise control is engaged.  When I turn off the cruise control, the check engine light goes out, in two to three seconds. Generally the problem starts after five hours of continuous operation, at highway speeds.

Engine is 2006 Cat. C 9.

I have had two Certified Cat. Shops complete computer diagnostics on the engine, and they find no code errors.

I am beginning to believe the problem is with the module on the steering wheel.

All guidance as to how to isolate the problem, where to purchase the needed parts and where to find how to instructions for replacement of the steering wheel cruise component is badly needed, and will be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:01:41 AM by 14 »

Sean Donohue

Re: Check Engine Light when cruise control is on
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
What is the engine temp when this happens?

Dick Crovisier

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:54:52 PM »
I do not have the temp. in degrees but the temperature is in midrange on the dashboard guage where the engine normally operates.

Sean Donohue

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Watch the tempurature if there is another source like the alladin system. It could be a heat issue.

Dick Crovisier

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »
I will check the Aladin next time out. Would a high temp. be recorded an accessable via a technichian running a computer diognostic?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:31:55 PM by 6542 »

Dick Crovisier

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
I did search the Beaver Forum for "Check Engine Service Light" and similar problems were reported by multiple owners but solutions were not posted.

If any one has experienced similar issue I will be greatful to learn of their solution.

Ken Buck

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »
If I get out of synch with my 07 Contessa and punch, say, the set button several times in a row and don't 'cancel' in between, the check engine light will come on, flash a few times, stay steady and then go off after a few minutes. There may be other combinations of button pushing that make it happen also, but that one in particular will cause it. I try to stay in sync and push cancel before resetting to a new speed and it hasn't flashed the light in 6 or 7 thousand miles now.

Dunno if that's what your's is doing but the cancel button seemed to clear it up for me.

Ken

Dick Crovisier

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
Thank you. I have been reseting to a new speed without pushing cancel first.

This makes total sense because my problem starts after driving for several hours and only after I do exactly what you describe.

If your suggestion solves the problem and I think it will you have saved me many dollars and much grief.

Again, thank you.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
Any CAT dealer can check your engine diagnostics for trouble codes. Usually if the check engine light is coming on there will be a code registered that they can retrieve and figure out what is going on.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 04:20:45 AM »
If the error that is turning on the check engine light is in the Smart Wheel module, either from driver input error or a defect in the module, it will usually not set a diagnostic code in the ECM (engine control module) because the fault is not in the engine or it's sensors. The ECM software is designed to monitor the engine and it's sensors, and not any accessories that a truck or coach builder may add-on.

Gerald

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 01:29:46 AM »
Thanks Gerald, I thought maybe it had something to do with the engine. I didn't think about it being a smart wheel problem.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:46:09 AM »
Dick, be sure you put a tag or two on this thread, so I'll be able to find it when someday I reset my cruise speed without canceling, and the issue bites my forgetful rear.  ;D

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:06:37 AM »
Hope that saves your rear, Joel.

Larry