Author Topic: C9 coolant  (Read 6185 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
C9 coolant
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:48 AM »
I am about to replace the coolant in my C9, 2007 Beaver Contessa. having a hard time getting a straight answer from Monaco as to the amount of fluid to replace original coolant.
Has anyone with an 07 Contessa drained/flushed/replaced their coolant? If so, can you give me the fluid amount?

tx, Ken
BAC members since 2006

Wayne Baumann

Re: C9 coolant
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »
Hi Ken I was looking in my 07 owners manual and the radiator  coolant  it says to be between 50-55 qts  for a C 9 engine hope that this may help you  Wayne

Roger Bowton

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
My 06 C9 in our Monterey has a 64 quart initial fill

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:58:05 AM »
Thanks all. I'm waiting for a call back from Monaco. I think the initial fill and /drain/fill amounts are different. Just trying to get a ball park number.

ken
BAC members since 2006

Roger Bowton

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »
The initial fill is different but you need that to determine how much antifreeze you need.  After talking to our local Cat dealer and two other service companies, I got the same answer about changing the antifreeze.  Drain all you can get out of the system and refill with distilled water, run the engine with heater on for about 90 minutes, drain and repeat then drain again.  Put in enough concentrated antifreeze to equal 1/2 of the initial fill and then top off with distilled water and add the addatives. Run again for about 60 minutes and test.  My  mix came out at a 50/50 antifreeze/water and nitrates etc were perfect.  They all recommended staying with the antifreeze you have in( ELC or regular).
The Cat dealer said that if you are going to change to ELC you need a chemical flush and several additinal distilled water flushes to absolutely remove all old antifreeze or you will contaminate the new ELC.  They sell SHELLZONE concentrate to replace regular antifreeze. I found out that our local cummins dealer also makes the same recommendation and also sells the SHELLZONE.   Just my experience with antifreeze. I'm sure there are other opinions .  I just follwed the advice of the Cat shop foreman.

Roger

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 02:04:52 AM »
I had heard that also. Most people recommend ELC but Im not convinced. My cooland is almost 5 years old and I have it tested annually by CAT. CAT says its good and 'no action' is required. Not really seeing the need to go ELC for 6 years when I'm getting 5+ on regular.

Ken 2007 Contessa
BAC members since 2006

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:53 AM »
A call to Monaco provided this information. To drain and fill is 11 gallons of coolant. Does anyone have any idea how many pints of SCA's are added per gallon to get the correct mix?

tx, Ken Sair
BAC members since 2006

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
Ken,
If you use coolant that is designed specifically for a heavy duty diesel (like Caterpillar coolant) the SCA (supplemental coolant additive) is already added.

Gerald