Author Topic: Coolent leak at overflow tank  (Read 6525 times)

Jim Shaw

Coolent leak at overflow tank
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »
I had a new coolent overflow tank replaced in Arizona last winter and when I returned home I found I was still getting a leak in the same area. Took it to a local rv repair shop and they replaced the hose that attaches to the bottom of the tank. Drove home and found I still had the same leak. Took it back and they found it was leaking from fittings on the back of the tank. They put teflon tape on them and all seemed OK. I went to a FMCA area Rally in Richmond,VA last week and when I got home found it was still leaking. It still seems to be coming from the brass fittings screwed into the plastic tank which does not seem to be a great idea. Looking for any ideas that would solve this leak.
Jim
2003 Beaver Monterey ISC350

Tom Rogers

Re: Coolent leak at overflow tank
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 02:10:39 AM »
More teflon tape and if there's a shoulder on the fitting try to find a washer that would snug up against the tank.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:23:02 AM »
The biggest problem with a brass fitting in a plastic tank is that the fitting is usually threaded with a tapered pipe thread that will crack the tank if it is over tightened. Check the boss area carefully for cracks and if none are found, clean the threads and apply  several layers of teflon tape or a good liquid thread sealer.

GERALD

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »
George Harwell o3 Monterey s/n 800495 went through the same ordeal. New tank, new hose then found that the brass plug was not pipe threads. Correct plug with lots of teflon tape solved the problem. Hope this helps.  

Jim Shaw

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »
Thanks George, I removed the fittings yesterday and put on lots of Teflon tape. I will need to drive it to find out if it makes a difference. The fitting were the one that were in the original tank so hopefully they are correct. The tank was replaced by RV Renovators in Mesa, AZ and I believe it came from Beaver, but not sure. I will talk to them when I go back this fall.
Jim Shaw