Author Topic: Backing into site - Tips?  (Read 19992 times)

Joel Weiss

Re: Backing into site - Tips?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
Either I'm insensitive to the issue because my PT handles better than the truck I got my CDL with, or there is a difference between the Magnum "B" and "C" chassis.  I honestly don't find the turning radius to be that bad and I have yet to have any issue backing it into a campsite.  

When Dennis Hill from RV Driving School was giving my DW a lesson a couple of months ago, he commented that the coach probably had the 53 degree wheel cut that was common on MH's until the past few years when it increased a bit.  He didn't indicate that it was any harder to work with than many others,

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 10:56:18 PM »
Gerald's right.  I remember somewhere before 2004 when we started looking for a new rig, major mfrs. like Country Coach and Monaco, and Freightliner coach users like Newmar and Tiffin, started bigtime touting 55 degree max wheel angle.  Put that together with our shorter coach (36' 10"), and maneuverability is relatively easy.  Seems like later there was talk of some rigs at 57 degrees.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:11:39 AM »
On some coaches you can adjust the steering stops to get a little shorter turning radius, however there is almost no room to turn the wheels any further than they already turn without the tires rubbing on the majority of coaches.

Gerald  

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 06:01:38 AM »
I think I remember the pre 2003 Beavers have a 37 degree cut.  That was improved by Monaco.  I usually use the "go around the block" method to U-turn.

Larry

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 02:22:45 PM »
We made one U Turn and it took all four lanes of a divided highway with our 1997 Patriot and barely had enough room. When we repositioned our front axle to allow clearance for larger tires one of the "service" people at Beaver suggested reducing the wheel cut instead of the axle move. Would take 6 football fields.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »
42 degrees is it for a 2000 Marquis.  It cannot be changed...it is what it is....... :-/
Strangely enough there is another PT that has this problem......its why I traded my PT Cruiser for a Jeep Wrangler !!!!!! :-/

Butch Martin

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »
Always remember to unhook the "Toad" before attempting to back into  a parking space :)
Its also adviseable to unhook any trailer also......

Butch

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »
Hey....that is a great suggestion and a real good tip.........had never thought about that before!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
Also watch both sides and the rear. I was being directed in and hit a grill. It fell over thankfully.